Answered

Employee Termination - What happens to their Miro Boards

• 22 July 2020
  • 8 replies

Hello Everyone,

My company recently joined Miro, and the question arose, after a recent resignation, What happens when a user created a few Miro Boards (That other team members are accessing), they leave the company, now what are the next steps, so that those boards do not get deleted or go in a dormant state. I seen that if you delete the user profile from Miro it’ll purge out any and all boards they have created; but does this mean if I transfer ownership, then delete profile, would Miro still consider those boards his?

Is it something as simple as transferring the ownership to myself (Admin Account) on the Miro Portal, or is there something else that should be getting done?

Any input is greatly appreciated!

icon

Best answer by Marina 24 July 2020, 06:17

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@STUDIOS architecture -

My assumption is that if board ownership is transferred then there should be no risk of deleting the account held by the previous board owner, but I will defer to @Marina to confirm this.

Kiron

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Yes, I too am curious as I created the free team a number of us are on and am the owner of 3/5 boards. If I leave the team, does the ownership transfer to the person (a) with the oldest account and (b) who is an admin? I’m too chicken to test it out by temporarily leaving my own team haha

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Rob Johnson -

That’s a great question - I know that I can’t delete boards from users who have left our company even though I am configured as both a team and company admin but perhaps the “billing” owner has those rights?

@Marina - would you be able to clarify this?

Kiron

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hey there,

When a user, who owns boards, deletes their profile, their boards are deleted too.

If this user transfers ownership to another team member before deleting his profile, boards are safe with a different owner.

The team or company admin can just remove this user in the User Management tab in the settings. If the user is the owner of some boards/templates created in this team space you will be given a choice whether to accept the ownership or delete them:

mceclip0.png

Hope that helps!

From what I can see, on a free team, there is no option to transfer ownership of a board, which makes sense as there are limited permission options for free teams (no private boards, all team members can see all boards, etc.).

When click on "Leave team" for the free team I created, I am warned again that I will lose access to the team and all of its boards, but I'm not prompted with an option to change ownership of the three boards of which I am still the owner.

I suppose it's a moot point if I do leave the team and the remaining members are no longer able to delete the board as they could just delete the contents of the board and rename/repurpose it. But the system tester in me wants to see what would happen if I just clicked that Leave button...

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hey there,

When a user, who owns boards, deletes their profile, their boards are deleted too.

If this user transfers ownership to another team member before deleting his profile, boards are safe with a different owner.

The team or company admin can just remove this user in the User Management tab in the settings. If the user is the owner of some boards/templates created in this team space you will be given a choice whether to accept the ownership or delete them:

mceclip0.png

Hope that helps!

From what I can see, on a free team, there is no option to transfer ownership of a board, which makes sense as there are limited permission options for free teams (no private boards, all team members can see all boards, etc.).

When click on "Leave team" for the free team I created, I am warned again that I will lose access to the team and all of its boards, but I'm not prompted with an option to change ownership of the three boards of which I am still the owner.

I suppose it's a moot point if I do leave the team and the remaining members are no longer able to delete the board as they could just delete the contents of the board and rename/repurpose it. But the system tester in me wants to see what would happen if I just clicked that Leave button...

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hey @Rob Johnson,

Right. Please see more info about leaving a team here - https://help.miro.com/hc/en-us/articles/360026524453-How-to-Leave-a-Team:

When a user leaves, their content ownership is assigned to the earliest Team admin in the team. Team admins receive an email notification. 

Thank you all for providing some clarity to this. I’ll relay this info to my team and let them know the process.

Thanks!