Answered

Consulting - Client access without Miro Registration

• 15 May 2020
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 2

Hi all,

I’m considering a reasonably large scale deployment of Miro and can’t quite work out what the client experience will be. I like that they can be partitioned into teams - great - but what I really want is to be able to invite them to a workshop so that they can edit a board without them having to create a Miro account. Privacy is important, so I need to be able to manage their access. 

Practically, there’s no way this would work if I had to ask all my clients to sign up to a third party software and create a new account. If I could send them a link and a password so they can click, type and straight in that would be perfect.

Is this possible?

Thanks in advance!

icon

Best answer by Isman Tanuri 15 May 2020, 15:36

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi John, based on your needs, perhaps the Guest Editor feature on paid plans may be an option. Doesn't need participants to sign up to Miro to enjoy Edit access for the workshop or training event.

Userlevel 2

Thanks Isan,

my concern here is that anbody I invite will be able to access any boards - i.e. one client will be able to find a board from another. Am I right in thinking this?

If Miro is ever to be used for consulting having private boards and being able to invite clients without having them sign up is an absolute necessity.

Cheers!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

As Guest Editors, they won't have visibility of your other boards if you do not explicitly show them the links to those boards. They have no way to know what else you have in your Miro account.

A good practice is to remove view access for each board after your session is done and deliver the captured output to your client.

However, if you really would like your clients to have access to private boards with security and restricted viewing, then I think there isn't much of an alternative apart from signing up :)

Userlevel 2

Thanks Isman - perhaps i’m not being too clear (sorry!)

I have no issue at all with signing up, I am just trying to understand what is on the other side. The answer to this question will either be a definite sign up or a definite not.

Once I have signed up to Consultant version or Miro, will I be able to invite clients to specific boards *without* each client needing to first create a Miro account. I would like for them to receive an email, click on a link and ideally just arrive at the board with no further steps. If they need to first enter a password I can live with that.

If, however, upon clicking the link I send them they are met with a request from Miro to create a Miro account before they can proceed to the board I’m afraid that’s a definite no from me. I have already tested the concept with several clients and every one of them has said they won’t do it if they have to create another account.

I hope that makes the nature of my enquiry clearer - I’m really grateful for you help and hope we can resolve this now :)

John

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

No worries, John, happy to help!

I have a Consultant account. I practically just give my clients or participants a link to the board that I have set with "Can Edit" access and they will be ready to go and start playing with Miro.

This is my sample of a board that you can access even without an account. In this case, I have set the board to "Can comment". If it's on "Can edit", you'll be ready to get going with your client.

Userlevel 2

Ah super cool!

Last question or two (I promise) then I’m pretty sure I’m gonna sign up…

• Is there a way to password protect access to the board?
  • Are you able to revoke my access to the board now I have the link?

The second one is quite important as we need to be able to keep the board but protect it from anybody accessing it once the workshop is complete.

Also… if you’re able to do that, what is the point of the day pass feature ($3) - are there things it can do that are more than you just did there.

Thanks again, really appreciate it!

(I also have a weird collection of hotel keycards :))

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

As many questions as you need, John :)

• There isn't a way to password protect any board.
  • As long as you have the link, you can access the board. To protect it from being accessed, I can change the board's status to "No access" and you won't be able to see even if you have a link to it

At this point, I personally think the biggest appeal about Day Pass is that you're able to track who made what edit on your board. Edits by Guest Editors are pretty much anonymous unless they've signed up for a Miro account themselves.

Day Pass is great if you'd like to keep the client on the board for a period of time with full access to all collaborative features of Miro. I don't feel this is necessary if you're running one-offs or a series of experiences.