Answered

Consultant Plan with both Viewers AND Guest Editors?

• 29 September 2020
  • 2 replies

Hi everyone!

I’m trying to understand if the “Consultant Plan” could work for my specific situation.

I’m a freelance consultant and I’m currently supporting a Company as a Scrum Master on a project that involves around 100 people. Most of them are organized around Scrum Teams, each team with its own Product Owner (PO).

I’m considering using Miro for a collaborative work that we are planning to have. It is not going to be a single workshop or event, but rather a collaboration over the weeks that will include both synchronous and asynchronous work.

The result of the work will be the draft of a process where each team currently has a deep understanding of a part of it but not the whole picture, and insights will emerge around the interfaces and dependencies of the different parts.

For this work, I would like only the POs to be able to make changes on the board (create new post-its, moving them around, connecting them) while all the other participants to be just viewers/commenters, so that we can reduce the risk of people accidentally messing up with the material.

I’d like to understand if I can do this with just a Consultant Plan with a licence that includes only myself (no Daily Passes, no additional Members).

I understand that I can invite “unlimited external viewers and commenters” (who should log in if they want to leave a comment) plus an unlimited number of Anonymous Guest Editors:

...and the characteristic of anonymous guest editors is that I can’t keep a history of who made what change. We could live with that.

What is not clear to me is a sentence that I find in the “Guest Editors” reference page (at this link) that says that once I create a public link to the board with Edit properties, that I am willing to share only with people that I’d like to have Edit rights, then “Every user on the board (including all previously added viewers and commenters) will be able to edit its content”.

Does this mean that, with the Consultant Plan and only my own paid licence, on a board I can only have either external viewers/commenters OR guest editors, and not some viewers/commenters PLUS some editors?

Did I understand correctly?

I hope someone can help me on this.

Thanks everyone in advance, and Miro On! :)

Danilo Tambone

icon

Best answer by Robert Johnson 29 September 2020, 20:51

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Danilo Tambone - Welcome to Miro! Surely someone else will have replied before I finish typing this, but onward I go!

Based on the scenario you have described and my understanding, the issue you will run into is when you set your boards to Anyone with the link → Can edit (and with a password :wink: ), and give that to the POs, now anyone with that link will be able to edit the board - you can’t separate PO access from “all other participants” access.

I think the your question regarding the intent behind the statement of, “Every user on the board (including all previously added viewers and commenters) will be able to edit its content”.

Let’s look more at that:

And now let’s look at the Sharing settings:

So, if I do this:

The end result is that now only the owner of the board and myself and see the board, however, the person added at the board level is set to → Can view and therefore cannot edit the board.

However, if I change Anyone with the link → Can edit, now EVERYONE can edit, including anyone added at the board level with View or Comment access:

Without paying for the POs to use Day Passes or be a full member on the team, you won’t be able to have them have edit access, but the rest of the board participants have view/comment only access. Again, to accomplish this, a full team member or board owner. On option could be for the POs to share a logon therefore consuming one license.

Please let us know if this didn’t answer your questions!

Hey @Robert Johnson, what a fast reply!
Thanks so much, everything clear. 

All the best!

Danilo