Answered

Can’t embed Google Drive videos and music. Is this a limitation or a bug?

• 19 April 2020
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi,

I’ve linked my Google Drive but can’t embed either videos (.mp4) or music (.mp3) - is this a limitation or a bug?

Youtube video embedding works fine and it’s from the same company!!

Thanks

icon

Best answer by Jonathan White 21 April 2020, 22:44

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

@thetitanium Unfortunately embedding videos doesn’t work in Miro right now, so it is a limitation. Storing a video on Google Drive and Streaming a video via YouTube are very different functions, so for now, we are limited to embedding videos only via mainstream video streaming sites. Likely this is due to Miro’s storage capacity and security features, which would be challenged if everyone was uploading videos or agreeing to let Miro access video files on your system.

Hope this helps!

Jon

Userlevel 1

@thetitanium Unfortunately embedding videos doesn’t work in Miro right now, so it is a limitation. Storing a video on Google Drive and Streaming a video via YouTube are very different functions, so for now, we are limited to embedding videos only via mainstream video streaming sites. Likely this is due to Miro’s storage capacity and security features, which would be challenged if everyone was uploading videos or agreeing to let Miro access video files on your system.

Hope this helps!

Jon

Thanks for the reply.

As the user of the Google Drive account is responsible for both the content, sharing and storage of the video I don’t see how this impacts Miro.

On the storage side, surely an embedded Youtube video being streamed is the same as a Google Drive video being streamed - Miro isn’t hosting the video so it isn’t paying for the stream.

On the security side, surely the user of the Google Drive video can share it just like they can share a Google Doc? The permissions are exactly the same for the whole Google Suite and you support Google Docs!

I really see no reason other than effort getting in the way of this - hopefully they can implement this soon!

Hope this helps!

Jon

Thanks for the reply.

As the user of the Google Drive account is responsible for both the content, sharing and storage of the video I don’t see how this impacts Miro.

On the storage side, surely an embedded Youtube video being streamed is the same as a Google Drive video being streamed - Miro isn’t hosting the video so it isn’t paying for the stream.

On the security side, surely the user of the Google Drive video can share it just like they can share a Google Doc? The permissions are exactly the same for the whole Google Suite and you support Google Docs!

I really see no reason other than effort getting in the way of this - hopefully they can implement this soon!

Hmmm interesting….. I used the embed code from google  (didn’t realise it wasn’t supported) and it did work for a few days then (I had several videos) they randomly dropped out.

Userlevel 1

Having video on a board is very useful for us.

BUT:

We (and many like us) cannot use YOUTUBE embedding because the videos we’d like to embed on the board are confidential!

Koen (HP)

Userlevel 2

Having video on a board is very useful for us.

BUT:

We (and many like us) cannot use YOUTUBE embedding because the videos we’d like to embed on the board are confidential!

Koen (HP)

Just want to echo this - situation is the same for us.

https://community.miro.com/wish-list-32/ability-to-embed-google-drive-videos-in-a-board-1387

It’s such an annoying aspect that the team seem unwilling to sort. I’d hardly class Google drive as outside of the mainstream. 

Why is it you’re able to share a Google Doc directly into a board but not a video. They surely have the same security and content risks??? 

It seems like the most basic of functions that deeply hampers wider and effective useage. 

Hope this helps!

Jon

It’s been a whole two years since this original posting. Have there really been no developments on this? My team previously used Milanote instead of Miro and it supported nearly every single type of video: uploaded, embedded, and linked. I still don’t understand why this isn’t already possible.

Incredibly basic feature that would dramatically expand the use cases and potential for collaborative work within Miro.

Hi all, good news. You can iframe videos from your Google Drive on a Miro board. Have a look at the screenshots below how to do it. Similar process if you use Microsoft OneDrive/Sharepoint.