Miro for Hybrid Collaboration with Interactive Displays

• 14 July 2021
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 4

Hello Miro Community! 

With the world slowly returning to pre-pandemic normalcy, many companies are starting to think about back-to-office plans this fall. This brings up the question of How do you use Miro for hybrid collaboration?’ (‘hybrid’ here refers to a mix of remote + in-person participants in a meeting). Using Miro with an interactive displays is a great way to collaborate in a hybrid setup and create an inclusive, engaging environment for all team members.

Check out our newest Help Center articles on this topic:

:bulb:Supported Interactive Displays 

Here, you will find an overview of how Miro works when used with an interactive display, a list of supported vendors, and a step-by-step guide for how to set up Miro on a display.

​​​​​​​

:bulb:Selecting the Right Interactive Display For Hybrid Collaboration

This article will guide you through the decision-making process of selecting your display for collaboration - what to consider, how to choose, and a list of various vendor options.

:bulb:Hosting a Hybrid Meeting with Miro Using an Interactive Display 

Wondering how to host a meeting with Miro when part of your team is in the office, and some are remote? Look no further. This article will give you tips and tricks for setting up a hybrid meeting and using Miro on displays to take collaboration to the next level.

Let us know how YOU use Miro for hybrid collaboration with interactive displays!

4 replies

Thanks,

I just got a viewsonic viewboard, smallest one they make, 42” for ‘personal’ use in exactly this use case, hybrid meetings. I use it to present in person for one or five clients at a time. I also use it to present (weather man style) for my video call clients, so that I don’t have to share my laptop screen and loose visual connection with them while I present. I also use it in hybrid meetings, where both in person and video clients are present, without any break in my presentation flow. Camera on me shows screen behind me.

The “quick sign in to miro on Interactive displays” (https://help.miro.com/hc/en-us/articles/4406230245010-Quick-sign-in-to-Miro-on-interactive-displays) solution does not work on my viewboard 4320 (it is their newest model). I never saw a secret code to enter, when login in to miro from my viewboard chrome browser. 

But that’s kinda beside the point… as I cant be bothered with a web mirroring solution that takes multiple steps on two devices, and then logs me out after an hour or two. I dont need to be logged out, as this 42” viewboard is my personal monitor. It’s not set up for public use, and I’m certain Im not the only one with this setup. A native Miro app running on the android viewboard would be ideal. The Miro web app running on my viewboard chrome browser is bester than one running from my laptop browser, but it lacks full screen capability and probably could be more performant as a native android app.

This brings me to the actual problem for me. Viewboard does not have google play installed, so the only way I can install the miro android app is manually, via APK file. But alas, I cannot find one to download for the life of me. So, without this, It seems I’m stuck using the webapp in the viewboard native browser.

I’m struggling with this right now, though I think (hope) this is simply a problem with the documentation.

In the article Manuel noted, step 2 says:

On the screen, you will see instructions for setup:

After I visit www.miro.com/login, I’m brought to my account’s dashboard. I don’t see any option to present the “send to display” dialog referenced in the image.

It feels like there should be a step in between 1 and 2:

1. Login to Miro.
  2. Visit miro.com/interactivedisplay
  3. You will see the instructions for setup…

What are we missing?

There are some details here that may be important:

Supported interactive displays – Miro Support & Help Center

This article provide recommended/supported interactive displays. It does note, not super clearly, that that for a meeting room device, it should be a Windows 10 device. This may be a portion of why you are having trouble, Manuel.

This article also notes that:

Miro works on 4K displays but it should be a Windows 10 device.

I would interpret this to mean that you CAN use a 4K display, but you don’t NEED a 4K display.

On to the quick sign-in article:

• This feature is only available for touch-screen devices with 4K+ resolution

This implies that you NEED a 4K display. I’m trying to test this on a Microsoft Surface Studio 2, which does not output at 4K. I suspect this is why I’m not seeing the “quick sign-in” prompt.

So, you can use Miro on any of the supported interactive displays as long as:

• The device has Edge or Chrome version 85+ installed OR is a Cisco WebEx board OR is a Windows 10 device

Optional: The interactive display can be 4K, but only if it is a Windows 10 device.

If you want to use the quick sign-in it MUST be a 4K+ device, which means it must be a Windows 10 device.

Hypothesis: To use “quick sign-in” you must use a 4K+ resolution touch screen with a Windows 10 device connected to it and running Miro. 

Let me know if I’m following everything correctly and my hypothesis on why I’m not seeing the quick sign-in screen is correct.

If it is, I would say that Miro’s documentation on interactive displays and their use in a meeting room is confusing - there are too many articles and the articles have only a portion of the answers needed to decide on the right display types.

Userlevel 4

Hi @Nicholas Hatch! It’s great to hear from you.

Thanks a lot for the feedback about our documentation, we’ve improved it and hope it’s clearer now.
In a nutshell, you can use Miro on any Windows-based interactive display (and we’re researching other operational systems).

Regarding Quick Sign in:

After I visit www.miro.com/login, I’m brought to my account’s dashboard. I don’t see any option to present the “send to display” dialog referenced in the image.

To see the sign-in page with a code you should be logged-out first. I think it’s also important to highlight in our documentation.
Could you please share what kind of interactive display you use? (and if it’s in the browser or our MS Store app)