Miro for Academic Research? Education

Userlevel 3

Hey all! Hollis here from the Miro content team. I’m a recent university grad where I was heavily involved in academic research and  I’m curious: any professors, students, or academic researchers out there using Miro in your research process?

Would love to see examples of boards, processes, etc. if you have any! Hoping to enable those in academia with Miro :) 

17 replies

I’m definitely interested in this for mathematics.  Load pdfs, notes and so on in, have whiteboard for calculations by hand.    Would be nice to be able to open Jupyter lab and / or matlab windows right in the whiteboard (this would be great for teaching as well!).    Gives an infinite lab book type feel.  

Right now having trouble with dropbox integration on the iPad though :-(

Userlevel 2

Hello , I’m a french teacher of mathematics. My students are from 15th to 18th years old.

I discovered Miro boards at the beginning of our confinment and I use it daily since more than a month.

It is THE TOOL to use for virtual courses. 

I use it with a wacom graphic tablet. I share the boards with my students before during and after the courses. With the new feature of sharing with writing possibility I di let a free board to my student so that they can let  their questions, their works and we can share together. 

I would be happy to show you examples of boards we used although it’s in french and not so graduated as you may use. 
Happy to share with you . Take care. Olivier

Hi Oliver - that would be great if you could share some samples.  

Userlevel 2

These are just the way they are after the virtual course is ended.

It has to be seen in its proper place in the flow of the course.

On one board you can see the works of the students I just pasted .

On the other are screencopy of one quizz I gave to themn before.

I can also share with you the video I recorded with that course. It’s in french but you can see the way it is using on the air …

If you have any commentaries or suggestion, please share.
Olivier

Userlevel 1

Hi Hollis,

Funny enough my name is Miro Soares, I am a visual artist and professor at the Department of Arts in the Federal University of Espirito Santo, in Brazil.

I am familiar with mind map since long ago. But I never could use it as an extended way to organize research. I had the impression that, until years ago, the were limitations in the way of imput and organisation of the apps, and myself most of the colleagues I was talking too felt that "the idea is good, but it doesn't really work". Recently this year decided to try it again. I started taking a look, again, on the softwares available and see if I find something that could be better that what I saw years ago. That's how I got to know the Miro app.

So, I am starting to from my mind map in order to organize my research in the field of photography, establishing different branches as: history, theory, genres, techniques, etc.

I actually have have been using Coggle, which I consider a very good tool. But just 3 days ago I found out about Miro app, and I was very much interested on it because it seems to have a better features in other to format the content. I believe that the variation provided by Miro, can make the mind map both more pleasant visually and more understandable. I am excited that it seems possible to combine different styles according to hierarchies and divisions. I also like the idea of the card, that can be expanded only when needed, and the general idea of having different styles for different sets of information.

On the other hand, I missed a particularly research oriented map in the templates. I am will try to create myself a template that could work for me. I am decided to explore the format of card and tags to combine both a clear map of concepts, but also having in hand the option to expand and find important quotes within the card. Let's see how it goes.

So, I am just about to start this transition and I will look for a way to export my existing content in order to get all into Miro without having to start from zero. 

I can let you know about my content in Miro after a couple of days or weeks, when I will able to have them here. I would be glad to share the maps and I would be glad to discuss some of the possible uses. I think we can come up with good ideas exchanging here in the community. 

Also, I am particularly interested in research organisation and I am constantly looking on ways to organise both content and methodology in arts, making use of reference managers softwares, book organisation in DDC, inventory and cataloging practices of artworks and films, and now mind maping. So, I would be happy to exchange ideas and give feedback. I would be also happy to see more exemples of use of the app for the purposes of research.

Best.
Miro

Userlevel 4

I’m studying Media and Entertainment business in Belgium, Miro is amazing for spreading my thoughts out visually. I’ve got tons of mind maps and nested pages with hyperlinks between them and links out too to keep track of me research references too. 

Userlevel 1

Hi guys,

I would like come come back to share the mind map that I am starting and also to exchange with you on some topics.

I just moved part of my content from Coggle to Miro. I hope to keep adding information on it.

I would like point some thoughts and I would be glad to have your inputs on them. I would be glad to hear your impressions and how do you related to those issues:

1- Combine mind map and cards?
I thought that in my case I would use the model mind map as the general structure of the research. And I could simply use a different format in part os the information on the map. But I found out that it is not exactly that way.

Before using the app, I thought we could use any of the format combined WITHIN the mind map (sticky note, cards, etc). My idea was to make a mind map with general concepts and I would make cards to keep track of quotation and book references. I thought that CARDS would be great (because it can be displayed small and, if we want, we can expand it in order to see much more information. Also, it has tags that could be used to organize authors and the areas of the research). But unfortunately, turns out that card cannot be part of the mind maps. I noticed we can link them with the ARROW, but the problem is that cards are fixed. When we mode the map or when it simply grows the cards stay where they are and are not reorganised as the branches. I thought that frustrating. Any one has ideas on how t combine cards and mind maps?

2- CARDS customised for book.
Even thought Miro doesn't have this option, I have the idea that I really would like to use cards as a way to organize books, authors and quotes. Could you implement a way to customise the cards?

Besides color and tags, that are great, currently they are set to include "date (DD/MM/YY)", "assignee". I would suggest to exchange those fields for "author", "title", "date (only year)".

3- Problem with mind map organisation 

I am facing problems with the spacial organisation of the mind map. I am constructing few but extensive branches from the main topic. I noticed that once it get very big, and I try to move its position it affects the other beaches even though I am not touching or even getting close the their spaces. I've tried so many time to format them the way I want and I had no success. Then I was forced to disconnect the big branches from the main topic in order to have them where I want. This doesn't seem to me good, as the purpose of the mind mip would be continuously grow in "harmony". Any of you have faced the same problem?

I would really appreciate any thought on these questions.

Thanks a lot.
Miro Soares

And finally, here is a map I am using to organize my research on photography theory:

Userlevel 1

I’m studying Media and Entertainment business in Belgium, Miro is amazing for spreading my thoughts out visually. I’ve got tons of mind maps and nested pages with hyperlinks between them and links out too to keep track of me research references too. 

Hi Sam,
It is very nice to see how you organise your thoughts and references. It is interesting how you combine different styles of elements.

I was mainly using the mind map, which I still think it's the more suitable for me, I will definitely introduce other styles in order to differentiate groups of information.

Cheers!

Userlevel 1

Can you guys see my board?
In a previous message I shared my board. But I read “Owner has denied access to the board". Can you see it? How can I make it visible?

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Miro Soares -

Are you actually sharing the board with the public as just linking it to a community message won’t make it available for others to see it. If you don’t want to provide public access, the other choice would be to just take a few screenshots of it.

Kiron

Userlevel 1

Hi Kiron,
Thanks for the tip. I was simply pasting here the url of my board. After reading you I managed to find the share options within it.
Now I see that is showing in this page, but it looks empty. I am able to click on it and open it in a main window, but I am not sure if you guys are able to do it as well... Can you see it?
Thank you!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@Miro Soares  

You should celebrate. :)  You’ve probably graduated away from ‘mind map’ the template/tool and should build from scratch with objects and lines. You’ll find way more layout freedom, and the ability to cross link branches (breaking hierarchy in to network).  

Userlevel 1

Hi Max,
Thanks for the comment.
I am still trying to figure out a way to organize the ideas for research.
I still miss the idea of using cards for books and quotation...

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@Miro Soares  You signed up for Tag Connector - Hope you’ll find installing the beta version smooth. Curious about your feedback.  

You may appreciate this Miro plugin proof of concept we made to visualize concept networks.  We connected Pocket tagged article data to Miro to visualize/layout the conceptual clusters.

The tags and the articles come in as cards, the article cards connect to the tag cards if they have that tag. The article cards keep their data: title, snippet, URL, etc. 

Would be interested to know and how this might be useful for research.  I imagine it would need some more specific features to make it really sing and be a useful product.  If it peaks your interest, gives you ideas, lets be in touch. 

Cheers, Max

Userlevel 1

@Max Harper 
Hi Max,

First, let me tell you that the installation of Tag Connector went very smooth. It is good that you have provided all the directions within the application, and also the videos you shared. So, thank you. (If anyone else is interested, I recommend. It is very simple to use).

I think the tag connector is a very interesting tool. I still didn't get the time to explore it properly though. I need to produce more data in my own boards in Miro App before to be able to make a better use of the tag connector. I have been a bit slow in this process because I didn't find yet a very good way to get my data into Miro, but I am interested in building both the data structured collection in Miro and the network connections using the Tag Connector. 

What I am struggling with Miro is that I am trying to use the cards module, which I thing is average, but I feel that it lacks "custom fields". The cards have fields that has no interest for me (as Assignee and set date as YY/MM/DD). On the other hand I would like to be able to create my own fields, for research (title, autor, date in format only YYYY, with out the need to set a day/month). Anyway, I will keep trying to find my way.

Related to what you recently mentioned, the connection with Pockets:
Well, I have never used the Pocket app, but I have just signed up and I will give it a go. The idea to import that content to Miro seems very useful! I's a good idea. I will try to collect data using Pocket and later bring some to Miro. I have a lot of bookmarks storing research related sites.

I knowledge the fact that you are coming up with very useful resources. Congratulations for that. I also understand that in order to come up with a tool used in daily bases, it is necessary an effort from the side of the users as well. The user needs to create his own way to make use of it.

If you are interested in discussing some ideas we can talk though Skype to be able to get into more details. I would be available for that.

Best.
M. Soares

more answers for Academic Research

I typically use index cards for collecting my research notes and recording metadata like source, page number, etc., as well as clustering of the physical cards on my desk.

Would anyone care to try out the Miro implementation of my system?

Check out xzerpt.com for an explanation and video. Xzerpt lets you record research excerpts with an input form and save to CSV, which you can then import to Miro with the Xzerpt Cards plugin.

Also, I love the combination of using Clusterizer with tags to represent the structure of the manually clustered cards:

Looking forward to any feedback!

Brian