Sharing copy of board for student collaboration

Badge +1

I am a H.S. teacher who has been using AWWapp for student collaboration on projects. One of the most useful features was the option in the sharing menu to Share a Copy.  With that link, each student got their own copy of the board with the assignment, and could then invite their collaborators.  I can’t seem to find this feature in Miro?  Does it exist?

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

@Steve Simon - You can configure a board’s Share settings (under Share → Sharing settings → Permissions → Who can copy board content) so that your students can open a board in “view only” mode, but Duplicate the board to their account - this feature is called the Board Content Settings.

For example,

1. open this board that is in my account
  2. click on the title of the board
  3. and then the Duplicate button:

https://miro.com/app/board/o9J_kl4Sue4=/

Badge +1

So all my students must have accounts?  That was not previously necessary.  Also, there used to be a dashboard that showed all of my students’ boards.  If I do as you described, will they also have to add me to their board for me to see their work?

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

@Steve Simon - Because there is no feature where users can only see their work on a shared board, each person needs to have their own board. Because Miro doesn’t have the same functionality as AWWapp where a non-registered user can create a new/duplicate of a board, your options are:

1. If your student does not have an account to create a duplicate of your board, then you will need to create a unique board for them - if you have many students to do this for, you can partially automate this process using the Zapier app (something like telling Zapier to create a new board for each line in a Google Sheet).
  2. If your student does have a Miro account, they can copy/Duplicate it. However, if they want another person to work on it with them, they will need to invite any other collaborators to be members on their Free Plan, which is free to do, but takes effort.
  3. You could apply for a free-for-life Miro Education Plan which would give you a 100-person team where you could add 99 students and assign boards to them - this will require they create a (free) Miro account.
Badge +1

Thanks for the help.  Unfortunately, the upshot is that the features that made AWW a useful collaboration platform for teachers and students did not survive the transition to Miro, so I will likely not be using it.  I do wonder what the thinking is that removes a useful education feature. . .