Answered

How to export MindMap as a JSON?

• 5 May 2020
  • 4 replies

Hi there! Is it possible to export Miro Mind Map with keeping the hierarchy? I’ve tried to export in CSV, but I get a flat list of items. Maybe it is possible using API?

icon

Best answer by Max Harper 6 May 2020, 17:51

View original

4 replies

Badge +1

@Andrew Voznyy  This is doable!  With a little programming.  I can totally understand why you’d want this.  We do too. :) 

We’ve been working happily with the API for a couple months now. . . working with network structure - mostly from the angle of import and render to board. - learn more about that here-   but getting the network structure from the board and json-ifying it would be trivial.  We’re almost doing that on one of our Miro apps. … here let me make a quick demo of that in action… 

I'm trying to create a new MindMap to represent all knowledge topics in our documentation (we have about 500). I already wrote the script which creates mind map nodes through Miro REST API - unfortunately the items created through API don't look like real MindMap items; they are just text widgets glued to the board, they don't move with their parents.

Perhaps you found solution how to create “proper” mind map nodes through API?

Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@Kate    What happens if the miro board has lines that connecting multiple items in a tree into a loop -- where grandchildren become parents?   How would you hope this gets represented in a CSV hierarchy? I suppose @Andrew Voznyy has made it clear that he has only a tree structure - with presumably no returning branches. 

This might help a little - it won’t give you a hierarchy across different columns though.

Setting up the structure of the map so that each parent is higher than its children results in an exported CSV that is in order - so each parent has its children listed underneath it.  My guess  is that the export process reads left to right, top to bottom by line.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@Andrew Voznyy  This is doable!  With a little programming.  I can totally understand why you’d want this.  We do too. :) 

We’ve been working happily with the API for a couple months now. . . working with network structure - mostly from the angle of import and render to board. - learn more about that here-   but getting the network structure from the board and json-ifying it would be trivial.  We’re almost doing that on one of our Miro apps. … here let me make a quick demo of that in action… 

At 1:20 you’ll see how close we are to what you’re hoping to do. 

Happy to chat more with you about how to accomplish this. Always eager to help.   email me at max@refractivestrategy.com