Using Miro board for trainings and people development

• 31 March 2020
  • 12 replies

Userlevel 5

Hi guys, I would like to share with your our practice for using the Miro board for delivering trainings, workshops and development brainstorming sessions.

We started using Miro cca 2 months ago and were drawn to it because we used to be a part-distributed, part-remote team. Since then we switched to fully-remote business to ensure business continuity in these times.

Miro echoed in our organisation and is now used by all the teamleads, trainers, business developers, marketing experts etc. 

Here you will find examples on how we set up our boards for the before mentioned:

Example 1: The full setup of a 3-day Train the Trainer course

When we talk about trainings, Miro gives the ability to create the perfect training surroundings, with the effect of re-creating a classroom agenda online. We linked the topics into coherent groups and prepared the board for all 4 types of learners: visuals, auditives, reading/writing and kinestetics.

As you can see on the picture above, we used 3 frames to re-create the complete training course online. The board was shared to the trainees and they were able to use it during the training to: set expectations, take notes, give examples, play icebreaker games and give feedback.

Example 2: Implementing the materials

Luckily, Miro offers a great drag-and-drop plugin so we were able to implement visual elements easily, as well as some videos that we were able to watch on the board itself (no need to open it separately). When it comes to digitalizing our usual visual aids, flipcharts, we digitalized them in the form of a vector and used Miro to add color to it.

Example 3: Workshops

We use one board for remote workshops only, and open new frames for each workshop - that way the participants are able to follow and connect the topics and collaborate on the board.

Example 4: Brainstorming sessions

One of the workshops was a brainstorming session on the topic of remote employees. We used the Miro templates and modified them in order to receive constructive feedback and brainstorm further on the topic. The best thing here was that the feedback received in the second task was then just copy/pasted to the third activity and used as a foundation for further brainstorming and collecting feedback. Easy, time-saving and effective.

All in all, we are more than happy that we discovered Miro and are suggesting it to all our usual external collaborators. It is user-friendly, simple and effective and offers a great digital substitution to live meetings.

Feel free to post any questions or feedback in the comments below :)

Hope this helps in your further work.

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Thank you for your open sharing, Martina, this is a lot of brain juice for myself and other facilitators, trainers and coaches. Feeling inspired :)

Userlevel 5

Thank you for your open sharing, Martina, this is a lot of brain juice for myself and other facilitators, trainers and coaches. Feeling inspired :)

Dear Isman, so happy to hear this! Thank you for your kind words. I will definitely post some sort of update when we come up with new things :)

Thank you, Martina. What you shared is really awesome and inspiring. Thank you for your generosity. 

Userlevel 5

Thank you, Martina. What you shared is really awesome and inspiring. Thank you for your generosity. 

Happy to help :)

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Hi @Martina Crnkovic, this is such an amazing share of what you have been able to accomplish using Miro. I am going to feature this in the upcoming NORAM VMUG: 06 event as an amazing example of how the community can inspire us all. If you feel like getting up in the wee hours of the morning, it would be great to see you online:) https://events.miro.com/events/details/miro-noram-presents-miro-user-groups-insights-and-introduction-into-our-user-led-events-community-management-1/#/

Thanks so much for sharing!

Jon

Userlevel 5

Dear @Jonathan White, thank you so much for this wonderful news! I am completely on board and will see you next week at the event :)

Userlevel 6
Badge

Thank you for sharing! 

What is the best way to get people to the right place on the board when you need their attention?

Userlevel 5

Thank you for sharing! 

What is the best way to get people to the right place on the board when you need their attention?

Great question, Mike!

For starters, make sure you present the board (simple overview) and the agenda at the beginning of the training / workshop / meeting. This will later ensure you are able to simply say e.g. “Ok guys, let’s move to the next part, which is the green board named Survey”. Also make sure you design your board logically as much as you can, in a sense that it flows naturally from one frame to another.

This way the attendees are aware from the beginning of the structure and timeline of the training/ workshop/ meeting and can easily navigate on the board.

On the picture below I posted my latest training session (8 hours). You can see that design-wise I chose to make a central frame with the agenda in the form of small icons that are distributed in a counter-clockwise order. For each icon a separate frame was made - I marked this for you with red lines.
Why frames - after the training session, we exported the filled-in board as a PDF and sent it to the trainees as a training material - this way they have it all in one place.

Let me know if you have any more questions, I’d be happy to help :)

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thank you for sharing! 

Hi Mike,

I use Miro to conduct workshops and training. 

In the same way you would develop a series of slides on PowerPoint, you can use a series of frames in Miro. There after, you can:

1. teach your participants about Navigating between Frames , where they can choose the frame you want every to jump to.
  2. Use the Bring everyone to me function, assuming you are viewing the frame that you want to teach from.

Hope that helps.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I love these examples of uses, because every time I see them I get inspired and I can think of many ideas that I can implement in my classes and trainings.

Hi guys, I would like to share with your our practice for using the Miro board for delivering trainings, workshops and development brainstorming sessions.

We started using Miro cca 2 months ago and were drawn to it because we used to be a part-distributed, part-remote team. Since then we switched to fully-remote business to ensure business continuity in these times.

Miro echoed in our organisation and is now used by all the teamleads, trainers, business developers, marketing experts etc. 

Here you will find examples on how we set up our boards for the before mentioned:

When we talk about trainings, Miro gives the ability to create the perfect training surroundings, with the effect of re-creating a classroom agenda online. We linked the topics into coherent groups and prepared the board for all 4 types of learners: visuals, auditives, reading/writing and kinestetics.

As you can see on the picture above, we used 3 frames to re-create the complete training course online. The board was shared to the trainees and they were able to use it during the training to: set expectations, take notes, give examples, play icebreaker games and give feedback.

Luckily, Miro offers a great drag-and-drop plugin so we were able to implement visual elements easily, as well as some videos that we were able to watch on the board itself (no need to open it separately). When it comes to digitalizing our usual visual aids, flipcharts, we digitalized them in the form of a vector and used Miro to add color to it.

We use one board for remote workshops only, and open new frames for each workshop - that way the participants are able to follow and connect the topics and collaborate on the board.

One of the workshops was a brainstorming session on the topic of remote employees. We used the Miro templates and modified them in order to receive constructive feedback and brainstorm further on the topic. The best thing here was that the feedback received in the second task was then just copy/pasted to the third activity and used as a foundation for further brainstorming and collecting feedback. Easy, time-saving and effective.

All in all, we are more than happy that we discovered Miro and are suggesting it to all our usual external collaborators. It is user-friendly, simple and effective and offers a great digital substitution to live meetings.

Great!!!! I also made the Train the Trainer course with Blair Singer and I made this MIRO - https://bit.ly/tttmiro

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

I love this! You might find the work that PwC’s Academy does in the training and upskilling space. I’d be happy to introduce you to the Academy if you are interested in exploring collaborations.