"Miro is the new website"

• 20 November 2020
  • 23 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I’m very sure many of us in this community are business owners or work for organisations with a website presence. I too have one that I built and manage for my consultancy.

However, based on my experience (and I assume for my potential clients too), trying to get a good overview of a business or an organisation can be a little painful: lots of clicking around and lots of nested information while trying to piece together a coherent big picture. 

Often times we also resort to sending “one sheet profile PDF” of our business (or CV/resume for job candidates) to whomever may be interested. However, anything longer than 2-3 pages can be a negative for a prospect or a hiring person.

What if there’s a way to present all this information on ONE interactive page? One big picture view that gives a wholesome perspective. 

Presenting my hack: using Miro to tell my company’s story! #miromarketing

Everything that we can do and deliver is presented in this Miro board. A use case: While some prospects maybe interested in our training programs, we also want them to know that we can deliver a kick-ass strategy design sprint workshop.

Happy to hear your thoughts and do share yours if you’ve built something similar! Also, let me know if there’s anything else I should be adding into the space?

23 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Isman Tanuri -

Very cool idea! It does present a novel way of positioning a company, especially when Miro is an integral component in how that company delivers value.

Kiron

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Thanks, @Kiron Bondale! And that’s the underlying intention as well, a nice little introduction to Miro for the viewer (if they’ve never experienced it before) :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Isman Tanuri - I completely agree with and support this idea!

A few months ago while submitting a template to the Miroverse, I was asked for my bio and social links. That’s when I had the idea to set up a basic Miro board with a link to my LinkedIn profile (to start) and then I redirected my domain name from LinkedIn to this new board. However, during a test, I was quickly reminded of how boards look to non-signed in Miro users. I would want them to at least see this:

However, it looks like this:

It kind of reminds me of a Myspace page :astonished:

Load up an incognito browser window and visit → https://www.robertjohnson.ca

After this experiment, and reading @Kim Roth Howe’s How have you structured Miro boards to use them as "hubs" or "libraries" to manage complex information? post, I created the following Wish List Idea (that could use some more votes :wink:):

Configure board defaults for first time viewers

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Very cool idea, @Robert Johnson! I believe it looks okay, does the job :) Or you can do as I did, the “fake” Miro background. That should add some colour and pizzazz to your board!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@Isman Tanuri :

Wow - I’m totally impressed - this is blowing me away!!!!:astonished::astonished:

Inspiring and shows me: “Hey Michael, you know nothing about miro and it’s abilities”.

Thank you for sharing this … it gives me a firework :rice_scene::sparkler: of ideas :bulb: what could be done next!

Michael

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@mlanders Hey, thank you, Michael! Equally, I’m still learning and acquiring new ideas and use cases from this community too. Our next APAC VMUG is an “Amazing Race”-type event by a guest presenter. I’ve not a lot of idea of what she’ll be doing but I think she’ll rock it and I’m going to learn a lot from it.

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

You never cease to amaze @Isman Tanuri. I have been sending out proposals lately to some clients using Miro, and if this is the platform we are leveraging to deliver our work, training, or activities, the sooner we start showing folks and getting them acclimatized to using it. Well done!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Thank you, @Jonathan White! As Kiron mentioned earlier too, it just makes more sense to go this path, isn’t it? Plus it’s a flexible pliable platform. We can get as imaginative as we want with our proposals :)

Userlevel 2
Badge

@Isman Tanuri I like the idea that Miro is the new website. 

At Boardle.io , we have decide to put all the “feedback and bug reporting” on it

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@Isman Tanuri   I love this … especially where it could enable the organizational mental modal to  become part of the structure/layout of the board content…  For ease of explaining this, imagine a company’s website(miro board) content to be organized around the ‘business model canvas’ structure. Extend that idea to value chains, sales funnels or consulting/contract processes. Basically this idea (websites on Miro boards) has a big advantage in my mind… that of being on a zoomable/pan-able UI allowing more exploration of lateral space.

Furthermore, like nearly all other visualizations in Miro, this layout of ‘websites’ can exploit our powerful capacity for spatial memory which is under-utilized by current web UI’s. Meaning - concepts are not hidden behind behind a series of magical doors(website links), they live in a location on a map, which I can see at any level of resolution I’d like. My concept lives next to related things, and I can easily find it by remembering its global or local relative position, or navigate there by landmarks, topography and topology.  Anyone who  

In the example you posted I was surprised not see use of Miro’s ‘internal links’ as way to link distant but related parts of the ‘website’ diagram. Also thought I might see use of frames as a way to anchor internal and ext->inbound links.  On the other hand, those internal links and frame titles, while quite functional, can clutter up and obscure the interface, esp at far zoom levels. 

Love this post. 

PS … in the weeds... I wonder what implications this would have on SEO... 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Thank you, @Max Harper! Love your deep-diving into the purpose of doing it this way. Top of my mind was: how can I make everything be really clear, transparent and visible on the same page?

The thought of using “internal links” did cross my mind, but that’s the other battle in my head. While visualising everything was the goal, at the same time, I was wondering how I can reduce the clutter and ease of navigation while having LOTS of information on there. Having re-looked at it again, I might just embark on a version 2.0 that clearly highlights the Business Model Canvas structure as you had suggest. Potentially a more linear view and easier to understand?

PS. I don’t think Miro boards are currently indexed for search though, but I could be wrong. I haven’t googled anything and stumbled upon a Miro board. To be clear, my goal of producing this is to create a ‘sell/product sheet’ for clients that I can include in emails.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

@Isman Tanuri 
“PS. I don’t think Miro boards are currently indexed for search though, but I could be wrong. I haven’t googled anything and stumbled upon a Miro board. To be clear, my goal of producing this is to create a ‘sell/product sheet’ for clients that I can include in emails.”

This is what I was coming to search because I had the same idea. Your board looks great. It would be nice if the boards could be indexed, but I can always redirect from my URL. 

However, I would like the affiliate credit for the people I push to Miro. My fingers are permanently crossed on this one.
https://community.miro.com/wish-list-32/affiliate-links-embedded-in-boards-we-share-2265 

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

@Isman Tanuri 

Couple of things:
I opened this on my desktop and can not figure out how to use the mouse wheel to increase the %. Instead, it is making the board go up and down. I know I should know how to do this, but I don’t yet and I doubt someone who does not know Miro would know how to do it. I need to revisit how that works to eliminate confusion.

Also, do you have this set up for people to comment? It looks like I could if  I wanted to. 

And…a visual plea where I would like affiliate links to go. Pretty please, with sugar...

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

When I refreshed, the prompt came up for how to navigate with the trackpad, but I am on a PC with a mouse. It is unclear that I should choose the icon in the bottom right corner to change my preference. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@jtk - Are you saying that your "PC" is a desktop computer and not a laptop with a trackpad? I have a laptop that has a trackpad, touchscreen, and I have a mouse with a wheel connected. However, if I go to a board in Incognito mode, Miro defaults me to touchscreen mode and my mouse wheel pans the board up and down. I have to change my Navigation Mode to Mouse to enable zoom in/out with the mouse wheel. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

@jtk - Are you saying that your "PC" is a desktop computer and not a laptop with a trackpad? I have a laptop that has a trackpad, touchscreen, and I have a mouse with a wheel connected. However, if I go to a board in Incognito mode, Miro defaults me to touchscreen mode and my mouse wheel pans the board up and down. I have to change my Navigation Mode to Mouse to enable zoom in/out with the mouse wheel. 

It is a laptop. I call anything that is not a tablet (or phone) a PC. I did go incognito. The problem was that I had no idea of what to do and I am familiar with Miro. 

Love this idea and execution, Isman. Gonna have to work on mine now :-)

Userlevel 1

Hey, all.

I just posted my online profile on a Miro board, happy to see any directions or your comments for how I can synthesise the information better. This is s WIP btw.

Story

When applying for a new open position, a resume can be so limited, and recruiting managers are so conditioned to see the conventional, keyword-rich CVs first to screen these. 

Our personal websites serve the purpose well enough but then again sometimes we have website tech challenges, navigation, updates, new pages or content blocks. 

Plus, it is difficult to let others drop comments on specific areas on the website (or open comments and then it becomes bit of a maintenance issue). Hence, this Miro board.

Cheers
- Vinish Garg

Userlevel 1

@Isman Tanuri I will appreciate your thoughts on using Miro for personal profile/portfolio. For many years, I have used Squarespace > WordPress but I guess Miro is such a *low-maintenance--highly-effective* option for designing a portfolio.

Thank you!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hello @Vinish Garg this is very innovative, great use of Miro! I’d love to call this a ‘Miro-sume’ 😂

It’s such a rich platform with multi-media like videos. It will be helpful to create interests in others.

Just a thought, don’t forget to create the Start View so that first-time Miro users will see what you intend them to see. Also, a quick Miro-how-to would be useful as well.

Otherwise, well done here and I’d suggest posting this in the Miro Educators group as well. It’s certainly inspirational for other students too.

Userlevel 1

Thanks, @Isman Tanuri I updated a few things, and added a note as well for how to use it. I am not sure of the *Miro Educators* group, can anyone post there? Can you please share the URL for me?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Thanks, @Isman Tanuri I updated a few things, and added a note as well for how to use it. I am not sure of the *Miro Educators* group, can anyone post there? Can you please share the URL for me?

Here you go, @Vinish Garghttps://community.miro.com/groups/educator-community-69

Userlevel 1

Thanks, @Isman Tanuri I updated a few things, and added a note as well for how to use it. I am not sure of the *Miro Educators* group, can anyone post there? Can you please share the URL for me?

Here you go, @Vinish Garghttps://community.miro.com/groups/educator-community-69

Thanks, @Isman Tanuri. I posted it here: https://community.miro.com/educator-community-69/miro-for-personal-profile-and-portfolio-5089