Password protection for public boards now available on Team, Business, Consultant, and Education Plans.

• 16 September 2020
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Hi everyone!  

We just released optional password protection for public boards to Team, Business, Consultant, and Education Plan users.

This feature has also been available on the Enterprise Plan.

We added a new layer of security to your public boards – share you Miro boards via a public link for viewing, commenting, or editing, protect them with a password, and enjoy seamless and secure collaboration.

Visit Help Center to learn more and let us know what you think about optional password protection in the thread below :hugging:

9 replies

That’s a really nice feature!!! Was waiting for something like that :sunglasses:

This is a crucial feature to minimise the risk of anyone with the link can view sensitive data….however would love to see an additional feature. Once a password has been set, the only options I can see are delete or create a new password. If someone else from the team wants to share with someone new, there’s no way of seeing the currently set password, they have to recreate it, and therefore making anyone with the previously created link/password invalid. Should be an option to view current password. 

I like this feature a lot. However, I am realising that the core problem still remains the same, people are now sharing the links along with the password so people are still able to access the boards. I wonder if there was a way to just approve folks when they want to join, they may have to give their names etc.

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

@Patrick Tam @MeenakshiB – thanks for your feedback – passed it along to the product team!

As near as I can tell I should be able to see the password control when I click share on a board but control is still missing for me. I have a consultant account.

Do I need to manually update version somehow?

Many thanks,

Sue

Two suggestion that would enable us to use this feature in our enterprise plan: 
1. Security settings that allow public sharing with passwords to be enabled and without password to be disabled (e.g. enforce the use of password). As since zoom bombing hit the headlines, our company will not allow the use of unprotected publically accessible links. Hence we cannot turn this feature on, as when tested with users, some still shared boards without setting a password (even when advised to only share publically using a password). 
2. Automatic generation of a secure password, as again from testing it with users, those that did use a password often set a weak one (e.g. a short word). So although educating our users might work, it would be preferable if a secure password could be automatically generated whenever a board is shared in this way.

Hi There,

I wonder if anyone else has faced this issue that the public link with password when shared with the guest editor is not allowing the guest to enter and instead creates this message. 

If anyone has any solution to this, would appreciate it.

Kotryna

Do Miro still read these comments even after the feature has been “DELIVERED”?

Would you prefer 

Two suggestion that would enable us to use this feature in our enterprise plan: 
1. Security settings that allow public sharing with passwords to be enabled and without password to be disabled (e.g. enforce the use of password). As since zoom bombing hit the headlines, our company will not allow the use of unprotected publically accessible links. Hence we cannot turn this feature on, as when tested with users, some still shared boards without setting a password (even when advised to only share publically using a password). 
2. Automatic generation of a secure password, as again from testing it with users, those that did use a password often set a weak one (e.g. a short word). So although educating our users might work, it would be preferable if a secure password could be automatically generated whenever a board is shared in this way.

I couldn’t agree more with @Dino Murray 

The current security controls within Miro are rather lacking, and without some improvement to the backend policies set by Miro Company Admins we’re running a higher risk of content leakage / unauthorised access.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Lena Shenkarenko - Perhaps the team who manages the Password Protection for public boards will considering turning off autocomplete on this password field:

This ask comes after a recent post from @Paula VanDeventer about passwords auto-completing in this field:

https://community.miro.com/ask-the-community-45/when-sharing-a-board-outside-the-team-via-link-why-is-the-password-prefilled-with-the-user-s-own-miro-password-4800