Meet the new templates experience with 60+ new designs

• 22 December 2020
  • 17 replies

Userlevel 1

UPDATE: Exciting news 🎉 The new templates experience has been rolled out for all users. See the new experience.

Visit the Help Center to get into the specifics or learn more in the blog.

Hi Miro Community, 

I’m Vicki, Growth Product Manager at Miro, and I’m excited to share an update on Miro Templates!

Starting today, we’ve begun testing a new templates experience in customer accounts. For those lucky few, you can easily browse our 150+ templates, including the best-in-class templates made by Miroverse creators!

Templates_what's new_new.gif

The new template experience lets you:

⚡️ Get started faster with templates right from your dashboard
🔎 Quickly find templates via topic tags and featured templates
👩‍🚀 Leverage best practices from the Miroverse Community
📚 Learn all about a template with interactive previews and educational resources

We’ll be rolling out the new template experience to everyone over the next few weeks, so keep in mind you may not have access to all our templates just yet.

After you’ve experienced browsing and testing out the designs, we’d love to know: Do you like them? Are they helpful? Any templates you want to see next?

Drop your feedback in the thread below 👇

17 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Vicki - Thanks for adding the Miroverse templates to the list! This also appears to have fixed the “problems scrolling in the templates list” reporting by some users.

Should I not be able to search for templates that are in the Miroverse? For example, when I search for “getting to know miro” or “mountain of tomorrow”, I would expect those to return at the very top of the list, however, “many” results are returned, none of which appear to contain the Miroverse templates I was searching for.

Userlevel 1

Thanks for the heads up Robert - I will watch for the new release. The scrolling function on the far right of the template pop-up is the one that is missing for me. If you choose All Templates, you should be able to scroll with a bar on the right to see all the templates that are offered. I can’t do that right now, because it seems to require a wheel function, which is not available on my trackball.

Could you check that for me please?

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@CHOPS - Yep, there are full, clickable scrollbars on both sides now :)

Userlevel 1

Hi Robert -

That’s great - I hope to see the update soon. It took a long while to get it fixed.

Thank you for the heads up.

CHOPS

Userlevel 1

This has created a problem for our company as now our Shared (i.e., “Company” templates are flooded with everyone’s personal templates as well, but no one can actually use them. So you need to weed through all the garbage to find the actual shared company template that you need. NOT HELPFUL AT ALL.

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

This has created a problem for our company as now our Shared (i.e., “Company” templates are flooded with everyone’s personal templates as well, but no one can actually use them. So you need to weed through all the garbage to find the actual shared company template that you need. NOT HELPFUL AT ALL.

@michele bartoli  Sorry to hear about your shared template problem. It’d be very helpful if you could DM me with a quick video (you can use Loom to record one, for example) to show what exactly is happening there and I’ll pass it on to the product team to investigate further. 

Userlevel 1

Thanks Kristin. I was posting on behalf of a co-worker. So I can’t take the video. I’ve since created a ticket and they are working on it. It appears to be a user isolated bug which is very good news (although not so much for her). 

@CHOPS - Yep, there are full, clickable scrollbars on both sides now :)

Aloha- the scrollbars are not there on my pop-up template box either- I just posted in a different thread- will post pics- 

No scrollbars?  

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

@Valerie B Love, thank you for bring this to our attention. I’ll pass the feedback on to the product team to investigate further.

@michele bartoli, thank you for submitting a ticket! Would you also mind sharing the ticket number with me privately? I’ll keep an eye on it.

Many thanks to you both! Kristin

Userlevel 1

Hi @michele bartoli, We've released a fix for shared custom templates. Thank you for your feedback and please keep it coming!

Hi @Valerie B Love , we’ve included a fix for this in the new templates experience which will be available to all accounts very soon.

Userlevel 1

My ticket has been resolved! Thanks

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

UPDATE: Exciting news 🎉 The new templates experience has been rolled out for all users. See the new experience.

Visit the Help Center to get into the specifics or learn more in the blog.

Please keep the feedback coming and let us know what you think! We’d love to know: What did you like most about the new updates? and What were your least favorite aspects of the experience? Don't hold back – we can take it 🙈

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@Kristin  Great work here.  

Does this mean that I can share a custom template with someone outside of my company/org/account?   

Relatedly- Will it be possible for user-generated Miroverse templates to actually be templates as opposed board clones (called templates on Miroverse)?   

These improvements would be very helpful.  

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

@Kristin  Great work here.  

Does this mean that I can share a custom template with someone outside of my company/org/account?   

Relatedly- Will it be possible for user-generated Miroverse templates to actually be templates as opposed board clones (called templates on Miroverse)?   

These improvements would be very helpful.  

Hi @Max Harper!

To dive into sharing your board as a template I’d check out the community thread @Robert Johnson started: Board Content Copy Permissions,  and our own Help Center article as well.

The second part of your message I’m not sure I understand. DM me if you’d be open to a 15min call, I’d like to better understand your feedback before passing it on to the product team.

Kristin

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@Kristin 
Just trying to be helpful and clear here. There is currently ambiguity about how the word “template” is getting used. And it makes it tricky to get specifically clear about use cases and UX around “templates”.  I’m thinking there might be some helpful distinctions that could help the community help its self navigate this space. This is coming up from consulting with a number of people/clients/client prospects trying to build/publish templates encountering this confusion. 

Here’s how the term “template” is getting broadly/ambiguously used:  I find 3 meanings: A1, A2, and B

• Template of Type “A”:  A packaged set of board items/content (widgets), which is ready to drop into my current board. This “template” is accessed through the board toolbar templates button. It drops into my current board at my current board location or at the nearest location right or down.  ( I can also create new boards, prepopulated from these same templates) - but key defining feature is that I can add this template content to my current board, from my current board toolbar templates button. 
    Board toolbar templates button.

• Type:  “A 1”:  A super-functioning special board widget that has responsive functionality: e.g. “Kanban” (if I drag a card over a new swimlane, swimlane expands), or “Mind-Map” (if I click the “+” sign I get a new branch).  
      • Users can’t create these, they are gifted to us from the Miro heavens. 
    • Type:  “A 2”:  A no-functionality assemblage of content: e.g. “2X2 Priority Matrix”. Content just sits there as non-responsive background material. 
      • Users can create these.

• Sharing:
          • Internal Sharing:  Users can easily share these type A2 ‘templates’ with their “company” / “team.”

• External Sharing: Miroverse: Some of who are sharing templates through Miroverse are now showing up in the board-level template tool options and are functioning in this “A2” way (where they can be deployed to my current board...without being preinstalled or setup in any way” (miroverse->my current board): e.g. “Customer Question Board: by Julia Cowing”, “Triple Diamond: by Zendesk” (and hold this thought here -- as this is crux of my question -- as not all “Templates” on Miroverse act as A2… only a subset). 
            • e.g.  this template is available on ‘miro.com/miroverse.’ But not through the board-toolbar-template-button template menu. 

… so some of the Miroverse has passed through a gate to become type A2 and I’d like to know the process for this. 

• Template of Type “B”:  This “template” is effectively a full board clone of someone else’s board of which you have “Copy Permissions”. This “template” is cloned into a a fully new board.
    • This is the default behavior and result of clicking “Use template” on miro.com/templates, and miro.com/miroverse

• Also, Type B is create-able and shareable per @Robert Johnson‘s in depth guide. Yet inaccessible from board template toolbar icon (like the Type A templates above)… unless a user converts type B to A2, which is done as follows - example user story - A user goes to miro.com/miroverse  and … 

• clicks “Use template” > chooses team
      • the type B template is cloned into a new blank board under that user’s team.
      • the user immediately presses export: “Save board as Template” 
      • Now they save as “Shared” to team or “Personal”
      • and now the board template of type B has converted to a type A2 template.
        • They can now use it in any board as ready-to-deploy into that board at a moment’s notice. 

Lastly: This phrasing adds a touch of confusion as to whether we’re talking about boards (kind of the Type B… or we mean Type A...

Summary:

Grateful and happy to see Miroverse getting ever closer to the board template of type A2. 

All of this said:  The main question I’m asking is:  How does a user share a template to the Miroverse and ensure that it ends up as template of type A2 (like: “Customer Question Board: by Julia Cowing”, “Triple Diamond: by Zendesk” :  capable of going from in-board template menu, off of miroverse and into my current board. Right now it looks like the default for a Miroverse-shared “template” is of type B.

Just thinking that disambiguating these three A1/A2/B meanings of “template” might help the community.

also… Maybe @Robert Johnson has some insight...as he’s been deep through the belly of board sharing..

@Max Harper Excellent description of the ambiguity in the usage of the word template. Not only is there confusion from a UX perspective, but it’s also harming the mental model that enables good workshop design. You can see this throughout all the platforms.