Grids Feedback

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

We just released Grids to Miro users and are actively looking for feedback. If you have this feature, tried it and feel like sharing your thoughts with us, don’t hesitate to let us know! 

105 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Erika Biggs - 

you should be able to delete rows and columns by clicking on the “...” button which appears above or to the left of the column or row, which will select the column or row (see the darker grey selected column below) and then selecting the trash can.

@Anna Nowak - double-clicking with the arrow cursor (not the hand) in a cell should enable you to edit the contents.

Kiron

Userlevel 1

@Kiron Bondale - Thanks for a quick reply!  Though I only have the cursor and not even a hand at all when hovering over the grid.  When i double click, nothing happens other than the grid stays highlighted but not individual cells …

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Anna Nowak -

That is really odd - I just tried it again with a new grid and it worked fine.

What is interesting is you also have two additional icons in your Grid toolbar than I do to the left of the lock icon: 

What is that first one?

It looks like you are using Google Chrome which is also my browser - is it on a PC or a Mac?

Kiron

Userlevel 1

@Kiron Bondale - the first one is to “duplicate”.  And yes, i’m also using Chrome and on PC.  Are you aware of any company/cybersec specific restrictions that would impact this level of functionality or else, whaver version our company has access to?

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Anna Nowak -

Nothing that I’m aware of but this is sounding more and more like a Miro support question. What happens when you just single click on a cell - does it at least select that, or does it still select the entire grid?

Kiron

• Text Alignment in Cells:  As of now Grid only supports left/center/right alignments it would be good if Top/Middle/Bottom alignments are also provided

I’m also missing it

I want to use several grids on my board but I’m struggling to keep the size of them the exact same, same column widths etc. The grids also don’t snap to the board grid? Please advise :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Kjersti Stølan -

Why not just duplicate one grid multiple times to keep them all the same size?

Snap objects also just makes it easy to align objects with one another but not with the grid - that has to be done manually as far as I know.

Kiron

Hi

The grid is an awesome feature :-)
I have been using it to create some swim lanes to describe user flows for a system we are building.

I have noticed that often I can not resize the rows or columns, even though there is enough free space. 
I have shifted to manual cell resize.
I have shapes and connection lines in the cells and the lines also go across the cells.

I nice add on would be to make it possible to change text direction to vertical, in my case I would use that for row names. That is often used for swim lanes. In the current setup, the text gets in my way ;-)

Other than that, I love working with the grid and Miro in general :-)

Hi

I have been using it to create some swim lanes to describe user flows for a system we are building.

I have noticed that often I can not resize the rows or columns, even though there is enough free space. 
I have shapes and connection lines in the cells and the lines also go across the cells.

I nice add on would be to make it possible to change text direction to vertical, in my case I would use that for row names. That is often used for swim lanes. In the current setup, the text gets in my way ;-)

I tested a bit more and have found that if I delete the lines connecting across cells, I can resize. 
This is though a bit annoying as you might imagine ;-)

I cannot seem to delete a row or column.  not trash icon is available, as shown in the help instructions. I can only ADD. A toggle that changes “add” to “remove” might be nice, like holding shift changes + to -. 

When I hover over a cell in the grid, I see a ‘3-dot’ icon floating at the far end of the row and at the top of the column for that cell. If I click that icon, a toolbar menu opens which includes a trash can to delete either the row or column, depending upon which 3-dot menu was opened. Hope that helps!

Thanks Shari! I needed that. :thumbsup_tone2:

@Kiron Bondale - Thanks for a quick reply!  Though I only have the cursor and not even a hand at all when hovering over the grid.  When i double click, nothing happens other than the grid stays highlighted but not individual cells …

@Anna Nowak I have this exact same problem. I’m also on Chrome / PC. Did you get a answer for this?

Userlevel 1

This is very welcome!

After using it a little bit:

• Missing vertical alignment
  • Can't group assets inside cells
  • Can we have padding and cell spacing?

@Jason Bazylak I’ve had the same issue.  So glad it’s not just me, but a little disappointing all the same.  I’m wondering if either you or @Anna Nowak received a response? 

it doesn’t seem like there is a way to lock a grid so that participants in a brainstorm can just click in the entry field (text field) or drag something to the given cell. the locking seems to be all or nothing and inconsistent (like a grid building can’t say “lock this stuff, but leave this stuff open” the way you might do with a form filling out version of a pdf for instance. So random guest editors or naive senior executives who haven’t figured out your “interaction physics” are stuck feeling like they broke something. Help?

@Jason Bazylak I’ve had the same issue.  So glad it’s not just me, but a little disappointing all the same.  I’m wondering if either you or @Anna Nowak received a response? 

No “love” yet. I don’t know is @Anna Nowak has gotten anything. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hi together,

I reccomend to report the issues you discoverd to:

support@miro.com 

So nothing gets lost.

Michael

@Jason Bazylak I’ve had the same issue.  So glad it’s not just me, but a little disappointing all the same.  I’m wondering if either you or @Anna Nowak received a response? 

No “love” yet. I don’t know is @Anna Nowak has gotten anything. 

@Jason Bazylak I sent an email to Miro Support yesterday afternoon.  So as soon as I hear back from them, I’ll let you know. 

Userlevel 1

@Jason Bazylak , @Michelle Hall  -  I have received a response but was directed to internal contacts at my company.  Have not had a chance to follow-up here but in the meantime, at least for text, I've resolved with selecting the Text tool and then the text box appears (or can be dragged to) in a cell in the grid you can type in it.  Once done, I've noticed the grid and the textbox move together when you shift the grid anywhere on your board.   Still no solution to format 1 cell at a time and can only do entire rows or columns.

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Is it live today? I got a notice in my board that I could use it but when i try to drop it into my board, it doesn't appear. 

Hey Nikki, how is the feature working for you now? If you still have issues, please, don’t hesitate to DM me and I’ll be happy to help.

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Hi Lena,

it’s so cool - so good.

Noticed one thing:

Add a grid with 5x6 or so cells

Add in one cell an arrow:

Move the grid … arrow doesn’t move …

And an additonal wish:

Make Mindmaps elements move into the gridsections, too.

This would be great.

I am so fascinated about this new tool.

Great work!!!
Michael

Thanks for the feedback – passing it on to the product team.

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

@Jason Bazylak , @Michelle Hall  -  I have received a response but was directed to internal contacts at my company.  Have not had a chance to follow-up here but in the meantime, at least for text, I've resolved with selecting the Text tool and then the text box appears (or can be dragged to) in a cell in the grid you can type in it.  Once done, I've noticed the grid and the textbox move together when you shift the grid anywhere on your board.   Still no solution to format 1 cell at a time and can only do entire rows or columns.

Anna, Jason & Michelle – please DM me – I’ll see what I can do! If you can record your screen & share your board backup with me, that’d be fantastic. I can work with the engineering team to figure our what’s not working for you. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

it doesn’t seem like there is a way to lock a grid so that participants in a brainstorm can just click in the entry field (text field) or drag something to the given cell. the locking seems to be all or nothing and inconsistent (like a grid building can’t say “lock this stuff, but leave this stuff open” the way you might do with a form filling out version of a pdf for instance. So random guest editors or naive senior executives who haven’t figured out your “interaction physics” are stuck feeling like they broke something. Help?

No solution on the product side atm – and feedback definitely taken. A workaround – maybe you can take some time at the beginning of the session (normally 5-10 minutes is enough) to help people familiarize themselves with the product a little bit. We’ve seen many facilitators using Miro for workshops do that and it helps make all collaborators more comfortable when working on the board. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

This is very welcome!

After using it a little bit:

• Missing vertical alignment
  • Can't group assets inside cells
  • Can we have padding and cell spacing?

Vertical alignment is coming soon :) Other requests are also noted – passing them along to the product team. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Hi

I tested a bit more and have found that if I delete the lines connecting across cells, I can resize. 
This is though a bit annoying as you might imagine ;-)

Thanks for using Grids and giving us feedback, Mikael!