Grids Feedback

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

We just released Grids to Miro users and are actively looking for feedback. If you have this feature, tried it and feel like sharing your thoughts with us, don’t hesitate to let us know! 

105 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Marcial Franze - I experience the same results when placing a Frame inside of a Table - the Frame does not move with the table, therefore objects in the Frame remain with the Frame when the Table is moved.

I believe this is expected behaviour at this time, but would suggest that we create a Wish List post to request a change in behaviour as you have outlined. If you agree, please create a Wish List post by copy-pasting your ask into a new post in the Wish List category by following the guidelines here: Wish List: Everything You Need to Know.

I could have moved your replies from here into a new post, however, I wanted to keep your comments here for others to see - also, I will let you name the post as you see fit.

If you do create a Wish List Idea post, I would also recommend that you post a link to it back here, so that future readers of this post can quickly get to and vote for your Idea.

Lastly, don't forget to vote for your own Idea.

Hi @Robert Johnson , 

I would like to place a frame into a grid and have the grid treat the frame and any content as one object. This does not work however and results in the grid either overriding the connection of the objects to the frame or ignores them altogether. If the objects are connected to the frame and the frame is placed into a grid-cell, the grid ignores both frame and objects inside the frame. If I move an object into the frame that is placed within a grid-cell the object will link to the grid cell only (Rearranging the rows/columns will in the second case move the object with its cell, but drop the frame. I don’t have a possibility to attach a screen recording right now, but I will try tomorrow. 

Thanks again,
~Marcial

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Am I the only one that would like to add frames to a grid? It is a pretty good way to organise content, but I need the export → PDF function of frames to be able to use the content in a different context afterwards. The Miro board is a birds-eye overview and structuring of content for all our university. 

I coud not find any documentation that explains how to do this. Anyone?

@Marcial Franze - Are you trying to add a Frame around a Table, or in a Table cell?

You should be able to do both. Note: if you put Frames inside Table cells, you need to select all objects (left-click and drag around the entire Table) before you move it, otherwise moving only the Table will leave the frames behind.

Here are a few ways to add a Frame around a Table:

Am I the only one that would like to add frames to a grid? It is a pretty good way to organise content, but I need the export → PDF function of frames to be able to use the content in a different context afterwards. The Miro board is a birds-eye overview and structuring of content for all our university. 

I coud not find any documentation that explains how to do this. Anyone?

Locking items on tables really should be supported. Please :kissing_heart:

I wish I could lock rows and columns (especially top row and left-most column) to make scrolling possible while having a constantly viewable column or row names.

We just released Grids to Miro users and are actively looking for feedback. If you have this feature, tried it and feel like sharing your thoughts with us, don’t hesitate to let us know! 

If a frame is in mode “freedom” and we latter on put it on “grid” it destroys all the work you did on it. And the worst part is THAT YOU CAN'T UNDO THIS ACTION!!! This situation ruined our Sprint dynamic several times!! 
Please, tell me this is a bug and that it is fixable.
It is a shame since the software is awesome, almost perfect (except for this annoying detail). 
I apologize for any typo, I’m upset and english is not my native language. :confounded::weary:

Userlevel 1

Personally, Grid is my favorite of all Miro features. I would love to have one small tweak to it. When I tried to create or move another grid inside a grid cell, it is showing a warning that it isn’t supported. Can we have a grid inside a grid cell just like shapes or other objects? This will make a ton of difference, at least to our team where we brainstorm and write concepts granularity-wise i.e we zoom in as we get deeper into a concept.

@Lena Shenkarenko how can grids be moved around the board? I can rearrange columns and rows, but I can’t select the whole grid and move it somewhere else on the board. Miro also freezes completely when I attempt to try it.

Locking grids - I am trying to lock the grids but even if I do, the moment i try to move objects on the grid, it keeps changing. Grids are amazingly useful and it would be great to be able to lock it so participants do not accidentally change the boards.

I can’t add text to the grid (Chrome Browser on Mac). I can see the cell is selected, but there’s no option to add text.  It’s unusable

Is there a way to copy multiple rows from one grid to another?

Right now I am copying cell by cell which is not functional.

https://youtu.be/v9BP26jGgrQ

I’m having this problem and it’s frustrating.  Once a column width expands, it won’t always contract back to the same size as the rest of the columns.  

Thanks Kiron.  I discovered that this is what we were doing, with a single text box each row, but using a bunch of spaces to align the columns.  I suppose if you put each column’s info in separate text boxes you can align the columns easily.  I will give that a go. I refuse to use space bar for alignment!

I see what you’re saying about ‘boring’ tabular view, but our workspace is interesting elsewhere, in the session boards, this is just supposed to be a simple slide to frame it all up.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Kate H -

Why not just use the normal align function and have the agenda topics & timing as text boxes or sticky notes and facilitators being avatars or other images? That’ll make for a more creative agenda than the usual “boring” tabular view…

Kiron

I want to use this to put an agenda in a slide.  It has three columns: Topic, Timeframe and Facilitator.  I want to do this without it looking like I’m using a grid - I am only using it for alignment and spacing.  So I’d like a “no borders” option please.

If anyone has a better way of doing an agenda in Miro, please let me know.  I just want a one page slide - we go through a miro slide deck and work in the activities along the way.

Hi, It would be very useful to merge cells in a grid like you do in a spreadsheet!

When using grids I encountered a bug. Somehow 200 other objects were attached to a grid in a board we created - even though none of these objects were within the grid . This means if I move the grid the other objects move with me, and if I delete the grid the objects also get deleted. It also means you can’t lock those objects as they are ‘widgets’, even though none of them are within the grid? This was annoying as clients kept dragging things that normally would have been locked.

Twice just before one workshop the whole grid and 200 objects got deleted causing massive stress as it was a client-facing workshop. It happened twice and I don’t know why. Luckily I had saved a version of the board earlier so could copy and paste a lot of it, it made us seem a little unprofessional and made me reluctant to use grids again. I ended up turning off auto-sizing locking the grid and covering it with a plain square shape. 

Super frustrating and it would be great if you could fix this! The board still has this problem. 

Also, will you allow locking and grouping of objects in later updates?

Cheers!

Thanks for your feedback, @Nairi! Please, share the link to the board and board backup file with me via direct messages here and I’ll ask the team to look into it. 

+1 to being able to lock objects in a grid. I recently accidentally moved a whole load of shapes and stickies that were in a grid and no amount of cmd+Z would undo it. Being able to lock the objects in a grid would be so helpful. I started using grids to capture research data and analyse & synthesise it. It was all going so well, but I’m reluctant to share the boards with stakeholders outside my team in case they move things around. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

@DanielS yes, please, do :slight_smile:

Ran into a problem where the person I was collaborating with created a grid, he appears to be able to edit any of the grid cells, but I can’t seem to be able to select or edit a cell.

Hey @DanielS – please, share, link to the board & board backup file to with me via direct messages here, if you’re still experiencing this issue, and we’ll look into this!

Hi Lena, I’ve found that it was only a problem when using Miro via Chrome browser. When using the Miro app, I didn’t experience the same problem. I’ve been using the Miro app ever since.
If you still want a link for the Chrome issue, then happy to forward through a link?

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Initial size is clunky. Should be able to drag out a grid the size I want. 

Would like to be able to tie grid to other drawing objects so I can put toggles in grid and (other places) with information and then turn the toggles on/off to show/hide parts of drawings/presentations so that I can lead collaborators through options and thought processes.

Hi Karl – you can choose how many rows and columns you want your Grid to have. Is there something else you’re looking for in terms of pre-defining the Grid size?

Your second feature request is noted, thanks! 

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

When using grids I encountered a bug. Somehow 200 other objects were attached to a grid in a board we created - even though none of these objects were within the grid . This means if I move the grid the other objects move with me, and if I delete the grid the objects also get deleted. It also means you can’t lock those objects as they are ‘widgets’, even though none of them are within the grid? This was annoying as clients kept dragging things that normally would have been locked.

Twice just before one workshop the whole grid and 200 objects got deleted causing massive stress as it was a client-facing workshop. It happened twice and I don’t know why. Luckily I had saved a version of the board earlier so could copy and paste a lot of it, it made us seem a little unprofessional and made me reluctant to use grids again. I ended up turning off auto-sizing locking the grid and covering it with a plain square shape. 

Super frustrating and it would be great if you could fix this! The board still has this problem. 

Also, will you allow locking and grouping of objects in later updates?

Cheers!

Thanks for your feedback, @Nairi! Please, share the link to the board and board backup file with me via direct messages here and I’ll ask the team to look into it. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Hi - would love the option for no borders on grids, as is available on shapes and text boxes etc. When you use the white border and export to PDF it prints as grey.  Example attached.  Thanks! Ange.

Thanks, @Angela Schroeder – shared your feedback with the product team.

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Ran into a problem where the person I was collaborating with created a grid, he appears to be able to edit any of the grid cells, but I can’t seem to be able to select or edit a cell.

Hey @DanielS – please, share, link to the board & board backup file to with me via direct messages here, if you’re still experiencing this issue, and we’ll look into this!

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

@Lena Shenkarenko A few suggestions. 

• User should be able to drag a cell into the notes like you can do to a sticky
  • I love the auto size feature. It would be amazing if you could drag cards in-between other cards and have the other cards move
  • It would be great if you could select a group of cells and automatically have different colors be applied to the different cells

Thanks for your feedback – noted @Jeremy Lee