Grids Feedback

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

We just released Grids to Miro users and are actively looking for feedback. If you have this feature, tried it and feel like sharing your thoughts with us, don’t hesitate to let us know! 

105 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

This is a great enhancement, but…

I’m attempting to use the grid functionality to create a basic product roadmap.  I can’t for the life of me figure out how to merge cells, so that a particular cell can cross multiple columns. For purposes of the Gantt-ish roadmap, I’ve got months/quarters as my columns and want to have certain features/tasks cover multiple time increments.  I’m sure this is something that’s been considered by the Miro team - am I missing something obvious in your UX?  

If there isn’t a simple way to do it, are there any suggested workarounds?  This is literally the only thing stopping me from getting away from using Aha.  Help (and thanks!)

@Corey Hart merging cells is on our radar for sure. Will communicate the update if/when we ship it! 

Userlevel 1

Excited about this given we use a lot of spreadsheets!  Ran into an issue where I can’t seem to be able to select one cell at a time to actually type text into each cell.  Could it be this part is not enabled or what am I doing wrong?

I cannot seem to delete a row or column.  not trash icon is available, as shown in the help instructions. I can only ADD. A toggle that changes “add” to “remove” might be nice, like holding shift changes + to -. 

@Kiron Bondale - Thanks for a quick reply!  Though I only have the cursor and not even a hand at all when hovering over the grid.  When i double click, nothing happens other than the grid stays highlighted but not individual cells …

@Anna Nowak I have this exact same problem. I’m also on Chrome / PC. Did you get a answer for this?

@Jason Bazylak I’ve had the same issue.  So glad it’s not just me, but a little disappointing all the same.  I’m wondering if either you or @Anna Nowak received a response? 

Another feedback for the cell text -
An option to copy cell text from one to another while keeping all the parameters of the text intact.

Cheers!

I am having trouble editing a grid (adding text) through browser (Google Chrome), but I have no problem editing a grid using the App. Can you please fix this for browser?

I cannot seem to delete a row or column.  not trash icon is available, as shown in the help instructions. I can only ADD. A toggle that changes “add” to “remove” might be nice, like holding shift changes + to -. 

When I hover over a cell in the grid, I see a ‘3-dot’ icon floating at the far end of the row and at the top of the column for that cell. If I click that icon, a toolbar menu opens which includes a trash can to delete either the row or column, depending upon which 3-dot menu was opened. Hope that helps!

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

I would loooove to try this out. But it's not yet available on our team account. How could I get access to it?

Hi Rico, Grids are now available to select teams using Miro, and we’re hoping to roll them out to everyone really (like really) soon. So, please, stay tuned for updates.  

• Text Alignment in Cells:  As of now Grid only supports left/center/right alignments it would be good if Top/Middle/Bottom alignments are also provided

I’m also missing it

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Kjersti Stølan -

Why not just duplicate one grid multiple times to keep them all the same size?

Snap objects also just makes it easy to align objects with one another but not with the grid - that has to be done manually as far as I know.

Kiron

Hi

The grid is an awesome feature :-)
I have been using it to create some swim lanes to describe user flows for a system we are building.

I have noticed that often I can not resize the rows or columns, even though there is enough free space. 
I have shifted to manual cell resize.
I have shapes and connection lines in the cells and the lines also go across the cells.

I nice add on would be to make it possible to change text direction to vertical, in my case I would use that for row names. That is often used for swim lanes. In the current setup, the text gets in my way ;-)

Other than that, I love working with the grid and Miro in general :-)

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

@Richard_RTB, @Study Agile, @Micah Davis – please, DM me info about the accounts you want this feature enabled for and I’ll ask our dev team to roll it out for you :) 

it doesn’t seem like there is a way to lock a grid so that participants in a brainstorm can just click in the entry field (text field) or drag something to the given cell. the locking seems to be all or nothing and inconsistent (like a grid building can’t say “lock this stuff, but leave this stuff open” the way you might do with a form filling out version of a pdf for instance. So random guest editors or naive senior executives who haven’t figured out your “interaction physics” are stuck feeling like they broke something. Help?

@Adar I noticed you reported a bug with disappearing text in a different thread – can you help you with that as well or was it resolved? 

Hi Lena,
the bug with the disappearing text seems to have been fixed, thanks ! :)

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Hi - would love the option for no borders on grids, as is available on shapes and text boxes etc. When you use the white border and export to PDF it prints as grey.  Example attached.  Thanks! Ange.

Thanks, @Angela Schroeder – shared your feedback with the product team.

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

When using grids I encountered a bug. Somehow 200 other objects were attached to a grid in a board we created - even though none of these objects were within the grid . This means if I move the grid the other objects move with me, and if I delete the grid the objects also get deleted. It also means you can’t lock those objects as they are ‘widgets’, even though none of them are within the grid? This was annoying as clients kept dragging things that normally would have been locked.

Twice just before one workshop the whole grid and 200 objects got deleted causing massive stress as it was a client-facing workshop. It happened twice and I don’t know why. Luckily I had saved a version of the board earlier so could copy and paste a lot of it, it made us seem a little unprofessional and made me reluctant to use grids again. I ended up turning off auto-sizing locking the grid and covering it with a plain square shape. 

Super frustrating and it would be great if you could fix this! The board still has this problem. 

Also, will you allow locking and grouping of objects in later updates?

Cheers!

Thanks for your feedback, @Nairi! Please, share the link to the board and board backup file with me via direct messages here and I’ll ask the team to look into it. 

When using grids I encountered a bug. Somehow 200 other objects were attached to a grid in a board we created - even though none of these objects were within the grid . This means if I move the grid the other objects move with me, and if I delete the grid the objects also get deleted. It also means you can’t lock those objects as they are ‘widgets’, even though none of them are within the grid? This was annoying as clients kept dragging things that normally would have been locked.

Twice just before one workshop the whole grid and 200 objects got deleted causing massive stress as it was a client-facing workshop. It happened twice and I don’t know why. Luckily I had saved a version of the board earlier so could copy and paste a lot of it, it made us seem a little unprofessional and made me reluctant to use grids again. I ended up turning off auto-sizing locking the grid and covering it with a plain square shape. 

Super frustrating and it would be great if you could fix this! The board still has this problem. 

Cheers!

Thanks for your feedback, @Nairi! Please, share the link to the board and board backup file with me via direct messages here and I’ll ask the team to look into it. 

+1 to being able to lock objects in a grid. I recently accidentally moved a whole load of shapes and stickies that were in a grid and no amount of cmd+Z would undo it. Being able to lock the objects in a grid would be so helpful. I started using grids to capture research data and analyse & synthesise it. It was all going so well, but I’m reluctant to share the boards with stakeholders outside my team in case they move things around. 

Testing out the grid functionality today and wondering whether there is a plan in the roadmap to include import or copy from excel/spreadsheets into the grids (not as stickies)? This would be HUGE, particularly for building project timelines in Miro. 

Really like the ability to resize columns and rows to accommodate content, and color-coding of cells, rows, and columns. 

Userlevel 1

@Kiron Bondale - Thanks for a quick reply!  Though I only have the cursor and not even a hand at all when hovering over the grid.  When i double click, nothing happens other than the grid stays highlighted but not individual cells …

Cheers!

Userlevel 4

Some feedback. I would like to group elements that are inside the grid. But I am unable to do that. I can select multiple items, but it doesn't let me group.

The work-around is to move the stuff outside of the grid, group it, and then move it back in.

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Some feedback. I would like to group elements that are inside the grid. But I am unable to do that. I can select multiple items, but it doesn't let me group.

The work-around is to move the stuff outside of the grid, group it, and then move it back in.

Thanks for the feedback – noted! 

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

update: the lines function glitches when resizing within a cell of the grid. 

Sorry to hear something is glitching! It’d be very helpful if you could DM me with a quick video (you can use Loom to record one, for example) to show what exactly is happening there. 

I want to use several grids on my board but I’m struggling to keep the size of them the exact same, same column widths etc. The grids also don’t snap to the board grid? Please advise :)