• 19 August 2020
  • 52 replies

Userlevel 4

[SEP, 30. UPD] 

Hi there, 

We’ve released a new Desktop App version to everyone :tada:  

Here’s a full list of improvements:

⚡️Main updates

• Users can FINALLY open board links (e.g. the ones shared with them on Slack) right in the desktop app.
  • Spell checker is now available
  • It’s possible to paste images right from the clipboard

🍬Other enhancements

• The app now uses up to 40% less RAM & supports Chinese, Korean, Japanese & Vietnamese languages

🐛Bug fixes

• SSO authorization now works in 100% cases
  • Users don’t get randomly logged out anymore
  • Keyboard shortcuts now work on boards as well as the dashboard
  • Before, when users updated the app, in some cases it could get stuck in the infinite update loop. We fixed it! 

Install links: MacOSWindows x64Windows x86

And please share your feedback about the new version in the comments below. Thanks! 

Read the old post here :arrow_down::wink:

Hi everyone! 

We need your help in beta-testing of the new Miro Desktop app version.

It is more stable, secure, and uses less RAM (it's reduced by 40% in some cases). We've also fixed different bugs with SSO authorization, updating flow, random logouts, and many more.

Since there are a lot of devices and OS versions, there can be tricky moments on some of them. That's why we need your help!

Please install the new version via the link below.

And please share your feedback about the new version on this thread. Thanks! 

52 replies

Please add method to Move Board Tabs that are opened so they can be sorted left-right, just like moving Browser Tabs.

This is my biggest hangup right now with the Mac app, that I can’t move tabs around.

Userlevel 2

Links opening in the app is a HUGE win, thanks everyone. Massive improvement to our workflow (people had completely stopped using links in slack, and instead just tried to describe where the content was...).

Seems to be working great, although currently it:
1) Opens the link in both a tab and the app, requiring the user to close the tab each time

2) Reloads the board in the app, even if the user has it open.  Maybe this is necessary for technical reasons, but it would be great if that didn’t happen.  Some of our boards are huge and take a while to load.

Regardless of those two issues, thanks again for getting this in.  The team is very happy about it.

Userlevel 4

@Rahil Karimlou Hi, you’re right, currently, it shows typos without suggestions. Thanks for the feedback, we have it in a backlog to add suggestions as well.

@Fabio Barreiro Hi, yes, it should take less RAM both for MacOS and Windows.

Userlevel 4

@Robert Johnson I’m so glad that you liked the prompt to open a board from a link!

While I’m here, something that has caused me extra work is lack of a way way to see what version of the Miro desktop app that I am running from within the app itself. 

You can check the current desktop app version in “Help” tab here. I agree that it’s not the most discoverable place, we’ll think about the better placement.

Userlevel 4

@Courtney Brillhart Hi and thanks for the feedback about moving tabs in the desktop app!

@Joel Green So excited to hear that links opening in the desktop app will improve your workflow!

Seems to be working great, although currently it:
1) Opens the link in both a tab and the app, requiring the user to close the tab each time

2) Reloads the board in the app, even if the user has it open.  Maybe this is necessary for technical reasons, but it would be great if that didn’t happen.  Some of our boards are huge and take a while to load.

Both of these points make total sense. We’ll see how we can improve them in the next versions.

Userlevel 1

I’d like to second the spelling comment from @Rahil Karimlou. Especially when typing in languages other than English, such as French and Spanish.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Robert Johnson I’m so glad that you liked the prompt to open a board from a link!

While I’m here, something that has caused me extra work is lack of a way way to see what version of the Miro desktop app that I am running from within the app itself. 

You can check the current desktop app version in “Help” tab here. I agree that it’s not the most discoverable place, we’ll think about the better placement.

@Tolya Filippov - Thanks for the info, but I am using the Windows version in which there is no file toolbar :

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Tolya Filippov / @Phill R - 

Well, I learned something new today when looking at the Desktop App help article. If you scroll down to (or search for) Possible Issues and how to resolve them, you will find:

And sure enough, in the Windows desktop app on Windows 10 (not sure about the Microsoft Store version), when I press Alt on my keyboard:

Userlevel 4

@Robert Johnson Yes, you are right, if you have Windows Desktop App you need to press “Alt” and open “Help”. We’ll discuss with the team what can be a more obvious place to discover the app version.

Userlevel 1

Love the desktop app, makes this actually usable for public remote training.  Template management is still lacking however.  No scroll bar (Windows 64 bit version), lack of sorting, deletion, etc.  I use templates a ton and would like to see some effort in this area.

Userlevel 5
Badge

For the next upgrade to the Windows Desktop App, I’d like to be able to refresh/reload a tab like you can in a browser, maybe a button or maybe a hotkey (like F5 does in a browser)

This is because sometimes the tab starts acting a bit stale (maybe because I’d kept it open on the app for a while) and so now I have to close it and find it again among my many boards. a reload button would be really nice.

Userlevel 1

[SEP, 30. UPD] 

Hi there, 

We’ve released a new Desktop App version to everyone :tada:  

[...]   

Congratulations! :)))

Is a Linux version on the roadmap?

Thanks a lot… :D 

Userlevel 4

Love the desktop app, makes this actually usable for public remote training.  Template management is still lacking however.  No scroll bar (Windows 64 bit version), lack of sorting, deletion, etc.  I use templates a ton and would like to see some effort in this area.

@Dwayne Stroman Thanks for the feedback! Could you please clarify, what do you mean by “Template management?” And do you have it on the web-version?
By “No scroll bar” do you mean that when scrolling our template picker you don’t see any indication of scrolling?

Userlevel 4

For the next upgrade to the Windows Desktop App, I’d like to be able to refresh/reload a tab like you can in a browser, maybe a button or maybe a hotkey (like F5 does in a browser)

This is because sometimes the tab starts acting a bit stale (maybe because I’d kept it open on the app for a while) and so now I have to close it and find it again among my many boards. a reload button would be really nice.

@Brian Fulghum Hi! We have a shortcut for this, try Ctrl+R. Or press Alt → View → Refresh current tab.

Userlevel 4

Congratulations! :)))

Is a Linux version on the roadmap?

Thanks a lot… :D 

@Eduardo Mercovich Thanks a lot! :) 
Linux version is not on the roadmap currently, but thanks for the request!

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Dwayne Stroman / @Tolya Filippov - I am using Windows 64 bit version (0.4.2) and so see the scrollbar when I select Templates (and → All templates) from the content creation toolbar, albeit a very slim scrollbar:

Userlevel 1

My problem was the delay from loading the templates.  If I wait long enough I do get a scroll bar.  The main issue though is the only way I can see to manage templates is to create a new board to get to the template window.  What if I just want to consolidate or edit templates?  Delete old unused ones?  The only way I can get there is to create or access a board.  I would like to see the same management for templates as I have for projects.

how can i change language in MIRO to Korean? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@jihye.jang - Miro is currently only available in English as per the Dashboard help article:

https://help.miro.com/hc/en-us/articles/360017571294-Dashboard

The Google Translate Chrome extension seems to do a good job of translating from English to French in the Chrome browser, so it may work for Korean too:

https://community.miro.com/got-a-question-ask-the-community-45/french-version-2151?postid=8904#post8904

@Tolya Filippov 

1. Is it possible to list the version numbers of your apps on the download page? It’s frustrating to have to not know the latest version number available once installed.
  2. Some of my Mac users are getting this error on version 0.4.2, when just a day before, they didn’t.

Userlevel 5
Badge

@Robert Johnson Yes, you are right, if you have Windows Desktop App you need to press “Alt” and open “Help”. We’ll discuss with the team what can be a more obvious place to discover the app version.

Small addition, the Alt key only works if you are on the main “Boards” tab, not from any content board. Is there a technical reason why this is so?

Yes, let me second the requests to just make your versioning obvious - everywhere. You posted a notice about the app update in the app itself but there was no version number! So how do I know if I should update? Nothing about version in the download section - so how do I know if I have the latest? Please just make this easier.

And..for good measure...how about the mac app having a way to alert you to a new version and allowing you to update from within the app itself? This is the MOST common way mac apps alert users to updates.

I can’t determine which version started with the “find board by URL”.  For that matter, I can’t find what version I am running.  Any pointers?

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

I can’t determine which version started with the “find board by URL”.  For that matter, I can’t find what version I am running.  Any pointers?

@Michael R. Wolf - from an earlier reply to the post you are currently in:

https://community.miro.com/changelog-feedback-31/better-smoother-desktop-app-is-here-1725?postid=8952#post8952

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Tolya Filippov - Suggestion: In the desktop app’s Help menu, add a shortcut to the Miro Help Center Desktop App article → https://help.miro.com/hc/en-us/articles/360017572854-Desktop-App