Join the conversation on Distributed 2020 here 🤓

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hello and welcome to a discussion space about Distributed 2020!

My name is Anna, I’m a Content Marketing Manager at Miro and I’m also managing the program for Distributed 2020.

Last year, we had 14K attendees hearing from companies like LinkedIn, Slack, Salesforce, Amazon, WhatsApp, Upwork, HubSpot, Intercom, Atlassian, Zapier, Segment, Pivotal, Pendo. 

At this year’s event, we’ll be focused on providing you with the tools you need to solve the ever-evolving challenges of modern teamwork across three areas: 

• Remote leadership: how can remote teams stay connected, productive, and resilient in uncertain times?

• Best frameworks and useful advice from leading practitioners: how UX designers, product managers, Agile coaches, and other professionals work efficiently in 2020. 

• Miro workshops and deep dives: how to use Miro to make remote teams successful.  

Before we finalize our program and our speaker list, we want to hear from you. What are your big challenges while working remotely? How about teamwork and collaboration? Share your pain points and it will help us shape the program!

26 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Anna Savina -

One of the bigger challenges faced with virtual teams is cultivating psychological safety within them. It would be great to have some presentations on this topic!

Kiron

Hello @Anna Savina - I was wondering if you are still looking for speakers? I am a researcher and PhD in organizational behavior, researching new ways of working and organizing work. My current projects involve activity based working, and remote work during the pandemic. My previous work have centered self-leadership in knowledge work at the individual and team levels. I’d be happy to talk about self-leadership & self-regulation when working remotely and the importance of structuring the environment & choosing the right tools (like Miro!). I’m thinking in the “Remote leadership”-stream, probably. Please get in touch if you would like to discuss!

Some of my work:

Bäcklander G. (2019) Doing complexity leadership theory: How agile coaches at Spotify practise enabling leadership. Creativty and Innovation Management, 28(1), 42- 60. http://doi.org/10.1111/caim.12303

Bäcklander, G. (2019) To see or not to see: Importance of sensemaking in employee self-direction. Nordic Journal of Working Life, 2019-2. http://doi.org/10.18291/njwls.v9i2.114799

Bäcklander, G., Rosengren, C., & Kaulio, M. (2018) Managing intensity in knowledge work: Self-leadership practices among Danish management consultants. Journal of Management & Organization, 1-19. http://doi.org/10.1017/jmo.2018.64

Bäcklander, G., Rosengren, C., Lid-Falkman, L., Stenfors, C., Seddigh, A., Osika, W., & Stenström, E. (2019) Navigating the Activity Based Working Environment – Relationships of self-leadership, autonomy and information richness with cognitive stress and performance. Scandinavian Journal of Work and Organizational Psychology, 4(1), 1-14. http://doi.org/10.16993/sjwop.58

Userlevel 1

I am conducting research on virtual design thinking workshops in which Miro is the most important tool, so I would like to learn more about Miro as a tool for learning. Miro holds incredible potential for learning, especially because as a learning scientist I reject the definition of learning as “acquisition” of knowledge and instead define learning as “becoming” while simultaneously “constructing” knowledge - which is a collaborative and distributed process. 

I like to hear about the use of Miro in the context of hardware development and industrial design in particular. How are 3D / CAD data shared and discussed for example?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hello @Anna Savina - I was wondering if you are still looking for speakers? I am a researcher and PhD in organizational behavior, researching new ways of working and organizing work. My current projects involve activity based working, and remote work during the pandemic. My previous work have centered self-leadership in knowledge work at the individual and team levels. I’d be happy to talk about self-leadership & self-regulation when working remotely and the importance of structuring the environment & choosing the right tools (like Miro!). I’m thinking in the “Remote leadership”-stream, probably. Please get in touch if you would like to discuss!

Some of my work:

Bäcklander G. (2019) Doing complexity leadership theory: How agile coaches at Spotify practise enabling leadership. Creativty and Innovation Management, 28(1), 42- 60. http://doi.org/10.1111/caim.12303

Bäcklander, G. (2019) To see or not to see: Importance of sensemaking in employee self-direction. Nordic Journal of Working Life, 2019-2. http://doi.org/10.18291/njwls.v9i2.114799

Bäcklander, G., Rosengren, C., & Kaulio, M. (2018) Managing intensity in knowledge work: Self-leadership practices among Danish management consultants. Journal of Management & Organization, 1-19. http://doi.org/10.1017/jmo.2018.64

Bäcklander, G., Rosengren, C., Lid-Falkman, L., Stenfors, C., Seddigh, A., Osika, W., & Stenström, E. (2019) Navigating the Activity Based Working Environment – Relationships of self-leadership, autonomy and information richness with cognitive stress and performance. Scandinavian Journal of Work and Organizational Psychology, 4(1), 1-14. http://doi.org/10.16993/sjwop.58

Hi Gisela! Looks super interesting! Can you please fill in this form — we will be evaluating all the submissions in the coming months and get back to you! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

@Anna Savina -

One of the bigger challenges faced with virtual teams is cultivating psychological safety within them. It would be great to have some presentations on this topic!

Kiron

Sounds interesting! What are the biggest challenges to psychological safety that you have encountered? Curious to learn more about the way remote work can influence your team’s wellbeing. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Anna Savina -

What would be interesting to see is what leaders have done to leverage the collaborative capabilities of tools like Miro to gauge and track how safe team members feel.

Kiron

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Topics I would like to see:

- How Educators have leveraged Miro since the pandemic started.

- How Business Analysts are using Miro to elicitate and document acceptance criteria/business requirements (something I have been doing for the past two years since I discovered RtB/Mised at the strategic level.

- Examples of Miro being used at the business  strategic level.

- Examples of the THE most creative, wild, and unexpected ways Miro has been used. 

I would like to learn more about assessing and prototyping ideas that resulted from online brainstorming sessions/design sprints and separately maybe a Miro developer segment on how to better create apps on Miro as my team and I are working on a platform called Rolljak, a gamified rapid ideation platform that combines gamification and design innovation research and practices. Integrating with Miro is down in our pipeline and we would like to have a better understanding of the dev process.

I would love a discussion around remote innovation. Researchers and practitioners alike believe innovation works better face-to-face. How could we make it work in remote settings and if anyone did - how did they make it happen.

Sounds like a great event :)) and I have been helping few companies to organize virtual events too! In case @Anna Savina you need help -- ping me any time :)) or we can brainstorm on Miro board :grin:

Thanks 

Hi @Anna Savina 

I’m the CEO and founder of Remote Forever and I’m incredibly passionate about online facilitation and remote working.

I was invited by three Miro employees and asked by countless Miro users to become a speaker at Distributed 2020. I have not however heard back from the organising team yet. Do you mind following up on this and getting back to me?

After hosting the biggest EMEA V-MUG to this date with over 400 sign ups and about 200 show ups and an overwhelming amount of positive feedback about it, I think I would like to offer that same workshop or a variation of it at Distributed 2020. I think it would be appreciated again. :)

Userlevel 2

Would appreciate workshop re: use of Miro for Learning and Development/training sessions that are interactive, collborative, engaging.

I would be interested in hearing about how companies / teams have created successful virtual teams, both from productivity and social perspectives. How have leaders developed a dynamic and sociable remote working culture. 

Userlevel 1

How have others introduced Miro and its features to new participants at beginning of a collaborative virtual workshop? So far in my experience facilitating some groups and participants quickly take to adding & editing content on the board while others are hesitant to interact in Miro. Add to this the time constraint of 1-2 hour workshops and the need to keep orientation to the tool short & sweet so we can complete workshop activities. I’d love to see a session that shares practical ideas for quickly introducing Miro to new participants in a collaborative workshop setting.

Is registration still open? I came across the email to register but once on the page the register early button does not open.

hello. the registration button “Distributed 2020” does not work … please help. How do we register? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Is registration still open? I came across the email to register but once on the page the register early button does not open.

Can you please try again? We reviewed the page, and it has to work now :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

hello. the registration button “Distributed 2020” does not work … please help. How do we register? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

How have others introduced Miro and its features to new participants at beginning of a collaborative virtual workshop? So far in my experience facilitating some groups and participants quickly take to adding & editing content on the board while others are hesitant to interact in Miro. Add to this the time constraint of 1-2 hour workshops and the need to keep orientation to the tool short & sweet so we can complete workshop activities. I’d love to see a session that shares practical ideas for quickly introducing Miro to new participants in a collaborative workshop setting.

Hi Alex! Great question! We usually recommend giving participants access to the board in advance and sharing this quick course with them so they get used to the tool. To learn more about facilitating workshops in Miro, check out this video. We will also include a session on this subject into the Distributed 2020 program :)

It worked! Thank you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Would appreciate workshop re: use of Miro for Learning and Development/training sessions that are interactive, collborative, engaging.

Great idea! We will definitely incorporate a session on Miro for educators and L&D professionals in our program! In the meantime, I recommend checking out this article about Ayman Jawhar, a lecturer at INSEAD who uses Miro in his trainings. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @Anna Savina 

I’m the CEO and founder of Remote Forever and I’m incredibly passionate about online facilitation and remote working.

I was invited by three Miro employees and asked by countless Miro users to become a speaker at Distributed 2020. I have not however heard back from the organising team yet. Do you mind following up on this and getting back to me?

After hosting the biggest EMEA V-MUG to this date with over 400 sign ups and about 200 show ups and an overwhelming amount of positive feedback about it, I think I would like to offer that same workshop or a variation of it at Distributed 2020. I think it would be appreciated again. :)

We are excited to have you on board, Molood! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Topics I would like to see:

- How Educators have leveraged Miro since the pandemic started.

- How Business Analysts are using Miro to elicitate and document acceptance criteria/business requirements (something I have been doing for the past two years since I discovered RtB/Mised at the strategic level.

- Examples of Miro being used at the business  strategic level.

- Examples of the THE most creative, wild, and unexpected ways Miro has been used. 

Thank you for your suggestion, Rob! We will definitely try to incorporate as much as we can! In the meantime, if you are interested in Miro for educators, check out our recent article on this subject. 

I use Miro to guide business stakeholders through interviews and collaborations but our license won’t allow us to give them full access to the Miro board. The best we can figure out is to add them as “commenters”, so I’d love to see best practice examples of the commenter function, or another way to allow temporary users to interact with the Miro board.