Anyone using Miro for Academic Research or Personal Knowledge Management? Looking for inspiration and use cases

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hi all,

I’m a knowledge worker.

While looking for a good tool to build my Personal Knowledge System (aka Second Brain), someone suggested Miro.

I’ve searched a lot, but I wasn’t able to find any use cases related to Academic Research or similar jobs.

I see Miro is mainly used for UX Design, meetings and similar.

I wonder if and how I could use Miro for complex knowledge, often related to projects.

I ask because I’m a visual guy, I really love mind maps, and I see being text only only takes so far when it’s time to learn.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

@IvanPsy :

Just give in your word your searching for into the miroverse:
https://miro.com/miroverse/

If you use the word resarch you can find 107 templates.

I’m sure there is something for you:

I MindMapped over two decades till I found miro in 2019 - since then I do most everything with it.

As an socialworker who sometimes does classes and lessons and coachings I:

• Do my classes with it in a never seen before interactivity that I missed so much in PPT presentations
  • Scribble my Coachings with short stickys as a reminder of my documentation - sometimes with a genogram or family-tree
  • Or I MindMap including some PDFs that I marked with the Pen-tool (Highlighter) that I send to my coachees 
  • Or I do my coachings in miro directly with my clients:

… the things I do are endless - and I love it.

Hope you enjoy every aspect that miro offers you.

Michael

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

@IvanPsy :

Just give in your word your searching for into the miroverse:
https://miro.com/miroverse/

If you use the word resarch you can find 107 templates.

I’m sure there is something for you

Alas all of the results refer to something related to UX Design, marketing research...

I MindMapped over two decades till I found miro in 2019 - since then I do most everything with it.

As an socialworker who sometimes does classes and lessons and coachings I:

• Do my classes with it in a never seen before interactivity that I missed so much in PPT presentations
  • Scribble my Coachings with short stickys as a reminder of my documentation - sometimes with a genogram or family-tree
  • Or I MindMap including some PDFs that I marked with the Pen-tool (Highlighter) that I send to my coachees 
  • Or I do my coachings in miro directly with my clients:

… the things I do are endless - and I love it.

I believe it.

I’m testing Miro, and it’s very powerful.

Just a question: don’t you fear being locked in Miro?

I mean: what if/when you wanted to go away form Miro?

The exporting options are poor.

My main concern is about mind maps: you can’t import/export the mind map, you can’t even copy the nodes into a word processor as text and bullet lists.

It’s an important feature for me: I use mind maps for almost everything in the early stages.

For example:

• I mind map the key points and paragraph of an article, then I import the nodes into my wordprocessor and write around the nodes
  • I mind map an event or a workshop, while people brainstorm, then the Company asks me for the map, both image and bullet list
Userlevel 7
Badge +13

I believe it.

I’m testing Miro, and it’s very powerful.

Just a question: don’t you fear being locked in Miro?

I mean: what if/when you wanted to go away form Miro?

The exporting options are poor.

@IvanPsy :

Yes, at this moment you’re right - the exporting options are poor

No - Word or MindMap-export not even freemind …

If I being locked to/in miro?

As I started with MindMapping I had worked with the first computerbased software

MindMan (The previous version of MindManager)

Then I worked with MindManager

I switched to iMindMap (the official computerbased program from the inventor of MindMapping Tony Buzan) because of its flexibility, output options and more natural based branches.

Till 2019 i worked with iMindMap although this program is not supported anymore - it changed to a not so good onlinesolution Ayoa …

I decided not to go into this direction because all i wanted I had with one click of a button in iMindMap … and I still can have it:

Flexible output / different formats and much more …

But my working has changed:

At home I prepare my class with miro / at work I start my class in miro

My coachings: My templates for my coachings I create at home in miro and then I log in into my account and do my coachings in miro … - for every problem a client had I can open a template with one click and ask my client the question he/she needs for his/her way in my coachings ...

Yes - when I think of it: It would be a catastrophy when miro stops from one day to an other its work … but:

I always have found a solution in my past for problems and I will do so in my future.

Here the same solution oriented thinking takes place for me like in the systemic consultings I do for my clients.

Although I miss much of the features I had in iMindMap … its hard to imagine that I will go back into the past solution because I would miss more features miro offers me

A video in German shows in 1:38 Min what miro offers what iMindMap not has offered me:

(By seeing the pictures you will get an idea altough you maybe do not understand the words) and of course I always will support the wishlist with this point and always tell miro what I still need:

https://community.miro.com/wish-list-32/import-mind-maps-from-other-apps-111

Best

Michael

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

@IvanPsy :

The output options if I work with a client that needs my bullet based output / Word file:

I work with iMindMap but more and more I go into the direction that I do my scribblings with the Bulk-Mode with the stickies in miro:

https://help.miro.com/hc/en-us/articles/360017572054-Sticky-Notes#h_01EWMZS3NDPZ1X6HXQYGCVFJM5

combine it with the search function:

https://community.miro.com/educator-community-69/miro-hack-searchfunction-of-the-board-combined-with-sticky-bulk-mode-in-a-class-4166

And with the clusterizer I had pointed out that 20 people of my meeting had nearly the same wish - this point out in a word-document would not be possible so fast and clear:

and put an output of my meeting as PDF-File.

Till now I had never heard:

We do not like this output - could you please forward this as word-document.

Yes: This would be a nice feature (- Word output for miro boards - but we haven’t got this) but it would be a point we can maybe create a wish out of:

https://community.miro.com/community-welcome-guide-14/wish-list-everything-you-need-to-know-1099

Michael

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

@IvanPsy :

Till now I had never heard:

We do not like this output - could you please forward this as word-document.

I see.

The more I look at Miro and its resources, the more I see the best way to understand the platform is thinking outside the box and forgetting the usual ways such as bullet points, slides, etc…

Thank you for the explanation.

Yes: This would be a nice feature (- Word output for miro boards - but we haven’t got this) but it would be a point we can maybe create a wish out of:

https://community.miro.com/community-welcome-guide-14/wish-list-everything-you-need-to-know-1099

Done!