[RESOLVED] Copy/pasted grouped elements ungroup?

Userlevel 1

When I copy/paste grouped elements, they ungroup. It’s only happening on some boards. Is there any way to solve this?

Marina 2 years ago

Hi everyone, @Francesco Petronelli @Francis Verhoeven @Liz Soutar 

The development team has released the fix to the issue you were experiencing where objects that were locked became unlocked when they were copy and pasted and when using a template the objects became unlocked that were locked in the template.

Please note you may need to log out and back into Miro to ensure you are on the latest version of the client that contains the fix.

Thank you for your patience!

View original

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Francesco Petronelli -

can you narrow it down to the specific element types? For example, are you grouping grids/tables as there are some known idiosyncrasies about those objects? I just tried it with sticky notes, shapes and text boxes and those seem to work fine...

Kiron

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Francesco Petronelli - As @Kiron Bondale mentions, objects can’t be locked, grouped or aligned in Tables - more on this in the Tables Help Center article:

⚠️ Content within tables can't be lockedaligned, and grouped.

Here it is in action - two grouped sticky notes, copy and pasted into a Table - once I try to move them  in the Table, they become ungrouped:

There is also a note about this in the Structuring Board Content → Grouping Help Center article.

Userlevel 1

@Kiron Bondale and @Francesco Petronelli -  I have the same issue as @Francesco Petronelli since roughly a week ago. 

Once I paste anything that was previously grouped, it becomes ungrouped. Even if it’s just 2 sticky notes. 

It used to work perfectly, but like I said, since 1 week a couple people in our company are experiencing this issue. Can we do something to resolve this?

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Francis Verhoeven - To reiterate, as per the Structuring Board Content → Grouping Help Center article:

⚠️ You cannot group Mind Map nodes, objects within TablesKanbanUSM, and objects located in different frames.

If you do try to paste grouped objects onto Tables, Kanban, or User Story Maps, or across more than one frame, then the objects will ungroup.

If you are pasting grouped objects onto a blank/empty spot on a board and they are ungrouping, this sounds like it may be a bug and you should reported to Miro support.

Miro support will need to recreate this issue themselves, so it will help speed things along if you are able to capture the issue happening - Loom is a fairly quick and easy (and free) screen recording tool.

Userlevel 1

If you are pasting grouped objects onto a blank/empty spot on a board and they are ungrouping, this sounds like it may be a bug and you should reported to Miro support.

I’ll contact support then, it happens even with just two sticky notes on a blank canvas.

Hello everyone, I run lots of workshops and have created “personal” templates that are all locked down so that participants can only edit certain parts of the boards. I noticed today that when I add the workshop templates they are unlocked. This hasn’t happened to me before. Is it happening to others and is there a solution? thank you!

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Francis Verhoeven - I just tested this again in both the desktop app and via Chrome and sticky notes are ungrouping for me when I copy them between boards. I tried this will new sticky notes and ones that I created months ago. Something has definitely changed.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Francis Verhoeven - It would be helpful for the community if you could update this post with what the support team tells you.

Userlevel 1

Heard back from support:

I'm afraid that currently, grouping is lost on the duplicated objects due to a bug on our end. We're very sorry about that! As a quick fix, please refresh the page (you can use the Ctrl/Cmd+R shortcut). 

Please rest assured that the team is already working on a fix for it. We will definitely keep you posted on our progress. Thank you for your patience!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi everyone, @Francesco Petronelli @Francis Verhoeven @Liz Soutar 

The development team has released the fix to the issue you were experiencing where objects that were locked became unlocked when they were copy and pasted and when using a template the objects became unlocked that were locked in the template.

Please note you may need to log out and back into Miro to ensure you are on the latest version of the client that contains the fix.

Thank you for your patience!

Is anyone else experiencing this ungrouping bug again?