Uploading pre-tagged spreadsheet data

Hi,

Is there any way to import ‘pre-tagged’ spreadsheet data into Miro? eg we’ve captured it in another application but would prefer to sort/synth within Miro. It would be great if there was a file format/structure that would allow us to upload it with all the tagging data applied!

Cheers,

Matt

@Matt Willcox   

I understand the desire for this. Have had similar hopes/dreams (see below). 

This is not currently a feature, but it can become one with a couple hours of dev work using the API - a simple plugin could get the trick done. If this is something you’d hope to use many times might be worth the build. I’m happy to support/advise. 

A very similar use case for your reference:

We built a Miro plugin to visualize tag networks of tagged articles from Pocket. See image below. The data comes in from google sheets, articles become cards (complete with linkable URL), the tags get visualized as cards as well. Any article-to-tag relationship is visualized by a line connecting that article card to the respective tag card.  

We also built this Miro tag network visualizer -- Tag Connector.

Learn more about it at www.refractivestrategy.com 

A few questions for you:

• How many (range) of tags are you hoping to work with ?
  • How many items are you hoping to sort?   
  • How do you hope to ‘sort’ ? 
  • What miro object are hoping to create per tagged item: sticky? or card? 
  • What app are you bringing data in from? 
  • Would it be possible to get your data into Google Sheets?
  • Would it be possible to put your data into a form that looks like the sheet image above?  

Cheers,
Max

Big upvote on this one. My research team would love the ability to import (or copy/paste) sticky notes and tags from a spreadsheet. It would make our affinity mapping so much more productive. 

@Max Harper I would love to hear more about your solution for auto-tagging from a spreadsheet into Miro! I briefly tried Zapier but was unable to get anything like that to work.

@Kyle 

all solutions would start with a CSV or with a Google Sheet. The data would be accessed through a plugin using the Miro SDK. 

In this image of a google spreadsheet, column F is a comma delimited tag list per row. Each row can create a sticky with text of column B and tags of column F.  

Hi @Max Harper I’d love to try. How can I access the tool?

@Calvin Hoenes   Above I’m speaking in future-looking design ideas. 
This isn’t built to the above spec yet. Portions of it were built a year ago… So I’ll need some spare cycles to get it built…  I may have some time next week and could crank out a prototype here.

I’ve got a few different requests/ideas/feature scopes that are all very similar to this general space and am looking to whittle to MVP / common or general use-case. 

1. Import a list of tagged records (rows with a/many tag fields) from spreadsheet and tag them: 
    1. in the following data shapes: 
      1. tags comma-delim in one cell (strings delim’d by commas = tags)
      2. tags X’s in a range of named columns(column names = tags) 
      3. tag lists in separate sheet
  2. Import a network representation (entities and relationship, node/edges, etc) 
    1. From the following data shapes:
      1. edge list,
      2. edge array, 
      3. adjacency matrix
  3. Export to csv / gsheet each of the above. 

I need this too.

@Tim Morgan

Thanks for adding to the momentum here.  

I’m looking to get some design specificity… 
Can you speak more about your use case and what a plugin would do for you ?  

Thanks, max

Hi Max. Sorry for the delay in my reply. My main use case is to upload Excel records extracts from a diigo.com library archive. I would like to be able to:

• select which spreadsheet columns to upload to Miro, and specify label name for each, if any
  • parse any comma-delimited fields like “tags” and “comments” & add to card based on user-selected type
  • specify simple relative position formatting & labeling for uploaded fields

That’s the basics. Thanks.

-Tim

I need this feature so bad!

I would love to see this for my academic writing... I save text excerpts (quotes/paraphrase, etc. with source and page numbers) to csv tables using an interface (xzerpt.com), and currently print physical cards for them for clustering on my desk:

Would love to be able to convert the csv rows to Miro cards instead of actual index cards...

I need this!

I’m missing it when preparing for a clustering exercise. Today I can pre-create the stickies (or cards) from a text source that the team will help cluster. If I could also extract colourful tags from that text source, then there will be much more visual information when clustering the stickies/cards and when evaluating the clusters we ended up with. 

Adding the tags manually is not an option. 

I can see that due-date, assignee and other “meta data” on a sticky could be useful as well. 

Please make this happen!

It’s very important for affinity diagraming  for me and my team. 

+1 Vote

Would love to use Clusterizer or other tools mentioned above to create a network analysis visual in Miro based on data from other sources like Salesforce or public data. We’re a nonprofit using data for internal decision making and external policy advocacy. Visuals like this go a long way.

Hello! I  want also to create a relationships diagramm  from a table in Miro. 

Is it possible finaly? I  do not see plagins working

I am looking for this functionality as well!  We are using MIRO to play with  our org chart.  I can pull my employee data from our HR system, but want to flag the stickies I create with key data (e.g. Bilingual Certified, Field Trained etc) to inform managers as they move staff around.

The dev and plug in route is a bit above my head.  Wishing this was an out of the box deliverable

Please implement this feature!