Answered

Uploading photos - color accuracy

• 10 February 2021
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1

I am noticing that the colors of most image files that I upload onto Miro are noticeably darker than when I view them on Photoshop or Preview. Is there any way to resolve this?

icon

Best answer by Susan Cho 23 February 2021, 16:47

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

6 replies

Userlevel 1

@Nicolas Caracciolo @Robert Johnson 

I received this response from Miro Support. From my experience, I am having the best results by uploading as JPEG:

Hi Susan,

Thanks for reaching out and reporting the issue! 

I've reached out to the team to thoroughly investigate this for you and I'm afraid what I learned is that images uploaded to Miro from any source always have a slight compression or changing of colors due to some technical limitation. Unfortunately, the team doesn't have immediate plans to improve this as we're currently aiming to develop some other functionalities mainly connected with collaboration, but I'm sure your request will help us boost the implementation process for this functionality improvement.

From my testing, converting the image to PDF and then uploading it to the board improves the color representation, but there will still be a slight difference.

I'm sorry about not being much help here! Please let us know if you have any other questions or require further assistance!

All the best,

Nancy
Miro

@Robert Johnson
Hi there! 
We have the same problem : (
We need to approve color sketches and there are big differences between the original files and miro´s previews… 
@Susan Cho : Have the issue been solved?
Thankss

Userlevel 1

@Robert Johnson - sounds good. I’ll open a ticket with them and will report back. Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Susan Cho - Thanks for the information. I am no expert on graphics/images/RGB/etc. All I can suggest at this point is that the difference you are seeing could be related to the applications that are opening the issue. In the case of Miro, Chrome is the application.

For a definitive answer as to whether or not Miro is applying any sort of filtering/manipulation to images on the board, I would suggest that you reach out to the Miro Customer Support team directly by creating a ticket via this special form.

It would also be helpful for the rest of the community if you were to come back here and share what the Support team told you.

Userlevel 1

@Robert Johnson 

• Are you viewing these in Miro via a browser or a Miro app - desktop/tablet/mobile?
    • I only use Miro via browser (Chrome) on my desktop.
  • Do they look the same/different when you view them in another interface? From another device altogether?
    • I am doing a side by side comparison on my screen. Browser vs. Photoshop vs. Preview.
  • If there are other people in your Miro team, does this happen for them too?
    • Yes. I work on a team with 3 other people and they see the same issue.
  • Does this happen for all file types?
    • I just did a test and it looks like RGB files saved as JPG seem to be the only type that retains the color quality the best. Then I compared the HEX number of the same color across all files and these were my findings:
    • PHOTOSHOP: #E36C46
    • JPG: #F46239
    • PDF: #E26C46
    • PNG: #E36C46
  • Can you provide an example?
    • Here is a screenshot. 4 images on left are from Miro on Chrome browser and larger left image is from Photoshop.
    •  

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Susan Cho - I have never heard of this before. As far as I know, Miro just displays the image “as is” - just like you were to, say, upload it to Google Photos and view it.

A few questions:

• Are you viewing these in Miro via a browser or a Miro app - desktop/tablet/mobile?
  • Do they look the same/different when you view them in another interface? From another device altogether?
  • If there are other people in your Miro team, does this happen for them too?
  • Does this happen for all file types?
  • Can you provide an example?

I just ran a test by getting the MD5 checksum of a .png, uploading it to a Miro board, downloading from the Miro board, running the checksum again and the files were identical.

Here's my test board - you can even download the image from the board if you want:

https://miro.com/app/board/o9J_lUuQw9U=/