Answered

Non Admin joining people to the Team

• 28 April 2021
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 2

Hi People

We have a Team plan, with 20 seats. Some seats are vacant. Recently a non-admin team member invited some new users to a board. They were automatically granted 7-day free trials that converted after the 7 days to full team membership, taking up the vacant team seats. This happened with no authorization by any admins. Is this correct behaviour?

We also have some team members with Free licenses. I can’t recall how they were invited (and why they were treated differently from the folk above). Do those free members have the same access as any other Team member?

Finally, on a Team plan, is it possible to invite free members to just a project or a board, or is membership only available to a Team. We typically want invited users to have edit permission to the relevant boards, but often don’t want them to access all the boards shared among the team. 

Cheers

Mike

icon

Best answer by Robert Johnson 28 April 2021, 15:22

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Michael Dunlop

Recently a non-admin team member invited some new users to a board. They were automatically granted 7-day free trials that converted after the 7 days to full team membership, taking up the vacant team seats. This happened with no authorization by any admins. Is this correct behaviour?

This is expected if the team’s Permissions → Invitation settings are configured to allow for it.

Non-Team Admin’s Inviting new members

You (or a Team Admin) will want to check the following setting:

1. Load your Team profile setting page by clicking this button from your dashboard:
  2. Permissions - I’d recommend the following settings:

More info on the above in the following Help Center article:

https://help.miro.com/hc/en-us/articles/360017730013-Adding-Team-Members

Free users on your Team Plan

This is likely due to your team member’s opening a board’s Share settings and adding a user as a viewer - or at least this is one way to have a user show up as a “Free” license user.

For example, here are the users on a Team Plan I am an currently - there are four Full license members:

Now I am going to add you to one of my boards:

And here you are:

And now you should see this team in your dashboard, but when you select it, you will only see this one board. You can choose to leave the team by clicking on the Team profile settings button, scrolling down, and using the Leave team button: 

Finally, on a Team plan, is it possible to invite free members to just a project or a board, or is membership only available to a Team. We typically want invited users to have edit permission to the relevant boards, but often don’t want them to access all the boards shared among the team. 

Just as I have shown above if you only need the non-team member to have “view” access while not having the board set to public view access.

If you need non-team members to be able to do more than just view a board, i.e., edit or comment, then you will  have to use the Public Guest Editor feature by setting the board’s Share settings to Anyone with the link → Can edit or Comment:

You can also password protect the board.

Note: Only team members can be added to a Project.

Userlevel 2

Thanks @Robert Johnson 

We do have those two restrictive options selected on the permissions page, at least we do now, it is possible the other admin ticked them after this behaviour and before I checked. I’ll keep an eye on it.

I can see you joined me to that board. I can navigate directly to the board from the link in the notification I received, and I can navigate to the team. But I cant see a listing that shows that the board. If I select “Go to boards”, I see all my usual boards, but not this new one, even if I select “All boards”. If I Star the board it does show up in my Starred boards list. I removed myself from the Team and the board stayed in my Starred list (for a while) but I could not open it.

Note, while I could not edit that board, I could change it in as much as I could read a comment and that seemed to remove the new comment counter. I did this to the comment on the card dated 14 March.

Cheers

Mike 

Userlevel 2

Hi @Robert Johnson 

I just checked with the other admin and she did not change the settings: we had the two settings selected per the illustration and a non-admin was able to invite a person in a way that they ended up as a full member of the Team. I don’t know if that means there is a bug??

Cheers

Mike

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Michael Dunlop - After some more digging, perhaps any team member can invite users to consume any unallocated paid seats, but as long as you have the permissions set as per that last screenshot, they just can add new paid seats. Here's the wording that leads me to that conclusion:

However, the Adding Team Members Help Center article doesn't appear to confirm this.

Perhaps it is worth asking Miro support: can a non-admin team member cause an unallocated paid seat to be consumed by sharing a link to a board (and presumably the board owner has to approve this, and they could also be a non-admin). Or would a Team Admin had to have approved this at some point in the process? I want a flowchart! Haha

You can submit this to support as follows (I wiuld suggest including a link to this post):

learning center, Get help, Support

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

I could try all of this tomorrow from a Team Plan that I am an admin on by inviting one of my Free Plan Miro account profiles. For now, though, I'm on my phone and about to call it a night over here in central Canada.