Some spreadsheet cells pasting as Text rather than Sticky Notes

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

I am creating this post to track some inconsistent behaviour regarding pasting spreadsheet cells on to a Miro board.

The expected result is that the cells appear as Sticky Notes on the board. However, there have been some reports that Text objects are being created instead.

My test data as two cells in Excel, Excel web app, and Google Sheets:

I then pasted a single cell (the one with “one” in it) and then both cells at the same time.

I did this in both the latest 64-bit stable Chrome and Miro desktop app from Windows 11.

From my tests, I consistently got plan text when pasting a single cell from Google Sheets.

Results:

Chrome

Desktop app

Tagging @Kerrin and @JonoB here as they had reported the issue in an older post.

Alyona 1 year ago

Hi @Robert Johnson,

I finally have some updates regarding this issue: what you suspected got confirmed by the team; there are differences in how the platform of origin implemented their copy functionality. Excel puts a single cell as a table, and thus we paste it as a sticky, while with Google Sheets, just the text is added to the clipboard. There's no way for Miro to know if that text used to be a cell in this case. 

The team plans to work on fixing this inconsistency, but this would be out of our focus in nearest future. Taking into account the cause of this issue, I'm going to remove the [KNOWN BUG] marking from this topic.

View original

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

I have created a support ticket with Miro and will update this post as I hear back from the support team.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

For the Miro support team - here are some of the conditions where the issue is being reported as happening under:

Windows 10, laptop, through chrome but also through the miro app. Cells copied from Microsoft Excel local file

And:

Mac OS (not with me now so can’t give you the version, but it should be quite up to date)  

Tried app and browser version /safari, copying from Excel App

Tried on same miro board on Windows, via browser / firefox-  and it worked all fine. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Update #1 from Miro support:

Thanks for creating this ticket and reporting the behavior. 

We have been able to reproduce the issue on our end, which enabled us to escalate the case along to our tech team. They will now be sure to investigate this case further, and we will get back to you once there are any updates to share.

Please bear with us and thanks again!

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Hey @Robert Johnson, @Kerrin and @JonoB

Thank you all for your patience with us! Our team just released a fix for the issue with the sticky notes conversion. To make sure you're on the latest application's version, please log out and sign back in. If you still experience any issues after that, please let us know!

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Alyona - I reset my Miro app data, signed out in Chrome (and cleared my cache) and the issue is still happening for me (Windows 11, 64-bit). Specifically, if I open a Google Sheet in Chrome, enter some text in one cell, e.g., “test”, and then copy-paste that cell into a Miro board, it appears as Text.

But if I take that same cell with the word “test” in it, copy-paste that into another cell, and copy-paste those two cells into a Miro board, I end up with two sticky notes.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Maybe this will help highlight why this is happening...

Using this utility → https://evercoder.github.io/clipboard-inspector/

With one cell in my clipboard:

With two:

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Thanks for letting me know, @Robert Johnson!  

I've shared all the details you've provided with the developers. I'll let you know once there is any news! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

I compared Excel online to Google Sheets and this appears to be a Google issue(?) that Miro may or may not make an exception for.

When only one cell is copied in a Google Sheet, it is not being saved to the clipboard as a table td (“<td>”) element. Instead, it is wrapped in a <span>:

Hey @Robert Johnson@Kerrin and @JonoB

Thank you all for your patience with us! Our team just released a fix for the issue with the sticky notes conversion. To make sure you're on the latest application's version, please log out and sign back in. If you still experience any issues after that, please let us know!

working fine now! thanks a lot! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Single Google Sheets cell still pasting as text for me.

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Hey @Robert Johnson,

I finally have an update for you! So the issue that our team fixed last week was a different one, and it looks like I might have misinformed you here. The team was working on ensuring that copied cells get pasted into the table in Miro and do not cause stickies or text boxes to appear instead. 

On the other hand, the issue where one cell copied from Google Sheets and pasted to the board doesn't become a sticky note despite a cell copied from Excel becoming one is an inconsistency our team is aware of. I don't yet have any information on whether or not they'll be working on it any time soon (if ever). If I have any other updates, I'll let you know in this thread!

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Thanks for the update, @Alyona!

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Hi @Robert Johnson,

I finally have some updates regarding this issue: what you suspected got confirmed by the team; there are differences in how the platform of origin implemented their copy functionality. Excel puts a single cell as a table, and thus we paste it as a sticky, while with Google Sheets, just the text is added to the clipboard. There's no way for Miro to know if that text used to be a cell in this case. 

The team plans to work on fixing this inconsistency, but this would be out of our focus in nearest future. Taking into account the cause of this issue, I'm going to remove the [KNOWN BUG] marking from this topic.