Kick out past admin user and reassign licence

• 18 October 2021
  • 4 replies

I’ve just joined a team who uses Miro. I need to be the admin of these boards so that I can manage the board, however the administrator user has left the business. He was the only admin.

As I’m not a licensed user (because I can’t transfer the licence) I can’t even contact the support team.

Does anyone know how I can solve this please?  An incredibly frustrating customer experience.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Frances Quinn - You can access the Miro Support form on this page:

https://help.miro.com/hc/en-us/articles/360020185799-How-to-contact-Miro-Support

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Frances Quinn - While we wait for an answer from support, I will ask some questions.

I’ve just joined a team who uses Miro. I need to be the admin of these boards so that I can manage the board, however the administrator user has left the business. He was the only admin.

There are roles associated with teams, boards, projects, and--depending on the Miro plan type--the company level - more on Roles in Miro here.

When someone has the Team Admin role for a Miro plan, this does not mean they have full control over all boards in the team - only the Board Owner does, and anyone they have explicitly designated as a Co-owner (set at the board level) - more on the Board Co-owner role here.

As I’m not a licensed user (because I can’t transfer the licence) I can’t even contact the support team.

What type of plan Miro plan does your work team use? See Plans and Features Available for a list of all plans.

Thanks Robert. I don’t know what plan we’re on - I’ve hunted but can’t seem to find where to see that without being an admin myself.  I have admin control over my created boards, however I need to manage other users, see billing information and rename the team - all of which are blocked.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

I don’t know what plan we’re on - I’ve hunted but can’t seem to find where to see 

Ahh, yes - I just tried this myself and see that, yes, anyone with the “member” role will not see this information:

Team Admin sees:

Member sees:

What has worked in the past for some organizations is to have someone with access to this ex-employees email box use the “Forgot password” feature to gain access and promote someone(s) to the “Team Admin” role. - here is the password recovery link → https://miro.com/recover/

Also, Miro may want to have your account validated by whomever is paying for it. Are you able to ask your team if they know who is paying for the account? With a newly setup team, there must be at least one Team Admin, and they were the person to enter credit card information - although it may not have been their own credit card. Once the account is set up, the Team Admin is also considered the Billing Admin and will consume a licence/paid seat. It’s worth pointing out here that you can change the Billing Admin//contact info later - you can read more about this in the following article:

https://help.miro.com/hc/en-us/articles/360034270533-Admin-rights

I don't want to take a paid seat in the team, but I want to be the payer and receive billing information.
- You can upgrade the account and leave it or ask the admin to remove you. Payment receipts are sent to the email address stated in the Billing section of your team settings. A Team Admin can provide any address there thus you don't have to take a seat in this case. To change billing email open team Settings > Billing section > Overview tab > Billing actions > Change email.