draw io is open source in github.

Is miro open source? 

icon

Best answer by Tolya Filippov 20 February 2021, 06:33

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@username321 - I am 99.999% sure it is not, but let’s ask someone at Miro - @Tolya Filippov?

Userlevel 4

Hi @username321 and @Robert Johnson, Miro is not open source.

Could you please share, if Miro was open source, how would it help you?

Userlevel 1

There are some common benefits for open source projects. Such as bugs fix, or feature improvement from the community.

But for a company, it is essential for them to close source some project to avoid lost of customers,etc. That is totally understandable. Thanks for your answer that it is not open source. I believe that it won’t in the future too.

It would help because I can’t afford to purchase your hosted solution.  

If I could self host miro then I would be able to use Miro for my small side projects that have no income yet (and might never have income)

And then later when I have a working prototype and I am able to secure funding, I will be already invested in your technology and I won’t want to trouble with self hosting anymore, so I would naturally transition to use your hosted solution.

Just like many other open source solutions such as Mattermost.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@Eric Hartford You can use Miro entirely for free though. 😊

@Eric Hartford You can use Miro entirely for free though. 😊

what an odd assertion.  you can only make 3 boards for free.  even for my personal little side project that might never earn any money, I still need way more than 3 boards, more like 10.  I can’t pay $16/month for one of a dozen tools I need (jetbrains, slack, asana, figma, hosting, Office, etc) for a side project that might never earn any income.  
If it was possible to self host then there would be a path for this kind of side project to adopt Miro early then convert to hosted/paid as it grows and gains revenue.

I know I’m not going to convince anyone to change their business model.  But at least to explain why it doesn’t make sense for me.

Thank you for asking the original question as Miro’s response here finally gives us the answer that seemed impossible to uncover.

Assumptions we’re being made at large in our org that Miro had opened up their environment with the introduction of the Miro developer platform and all that comes with it. Why? Largely we met that assumption skeptically. Although than we started tuning into the marketing and the age old buzz word “Free” kept popping up in videos and marketing messages but unclear enough you still had to ask yourself “What is free, what does Miro mean by “its free”?”. it was just the right amount of bait that based purely how it was messaged that indeed it was coming off to us (the public) that it would be in fact free to scale new applications and products within ours and others organizations using Miro as a base framework and not at all be barred by the cost of Miro the platform itself for either us or the end user of the products we could build.

I feel @Tolya Filippov you’ve finally answered the question that was so subtle, so perfectly utilized in the messaging that you never could be sure what that answer was. 

The answer is the developer platform is not free. But open to develop and extend upon. And in that outcome adding value only to those with Miro subscriptions as the user base that could use that development. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@Eric Hartford “Odd assertion”? What an odd comment... I simply stated that you can use Miro for free, which you can. That's all.