If Miro is not a data-mining company, why is it not possible to store your data locally?

• 22 February 2021
  • 6 replies

It seems like people would be using the app for very private information.  So, I am not understanding why people can not sore their data locally.

There are companies that have Software as a Service models, but still allow you to save all of your work on your own hard drive, and not on their servers.

Does anyone have any insight to this?

Thank you.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

A few reasons may be:

• Given the highly collaborative, real-time nature of Miro, it would be a challenge/potential security risk to have all of the changes being made by other board participants being pushed down to your computer.
  • The saving of data would then be reliant on all of the network connections between your (and others) network connections.
  • Miro has more sophisticated backups than the average local computer.
Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Jay M -

To add to @Robert Johnson’s feedback, Miro’s sharing model for boards does make it possible for you to keep board data restricted to just those who need to see it. Miro also has a well defined security stance and you can request their whitepaper if you need more info about how they safeguard the information within your boards.

Kiron

Two followup questions:

• re: @Robert Johnson’s statment: “Given the highly collaborative, real-time nature of Miro … etc”
    • That makes sense, but there are also many people who want to use it for their own mind mapping and brainstorming; and do not need the sharing features. It would be simple to let them store their data locally. Yet, Miro does not.

• re: @Kiron Bondale. Normal people do not have time to figure out all of the legalese in these white papers. You have to be an attorney to be able to figure it out. 
    • So, when you say that their sharing model enables you to restrict the boards to “those who need to see it” - that is just as far as you know. At the end of the day, you are still required to put your data on their servers, so there is no way to guarantee who sees.  So, it still seems rather willful that companies like Miro exclude a local storage option.

• Is there something I’m missing? Is there a way to store your data to your own hard drive and not Miro’s servers?
Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Jay M 

• It would be simple to let them store their data locally. Yet, Miro does not.

So say you. Miro would likely have a very different definition of ‘simple’.

Is there something I’m missing? Is there a way to store your data to your own hard drive and not Miro’s servers?

Storing data on the the server is how Miro is built. To change this would require Miro to re-program how data is stored and retrieved.

If you’d like to see the option to save data locally, I’d recommend adding this as an Idea in the Wish List category by following the guidelines here: Wish List: Everything You Need to Know.

If you do create a Wish List Idea post, I would also recommend that you post a link to it back here, so that future readers of this post can quickly get to and vote for your Idea.

Lastly, don't forget to vote for your own Idea.

Storing data on the the server is how Miro is built. To change this would require Miro to re-program how data is stored and retrieved.

Yes, I got that. That’s the entire point of my post. That is indeed a trivial matter for a company that actually wants its users to control their own data. 

As a P.S. to this thread:

I have to say that I am amazed when people actually go to bat for a corporation having practices that endanger people’s privacy.