How to open Miro board from URL in Windows App?

Userlevel 1

Hey,

I got shared Miro board URL with me, and I can open it in my browser. But I cannot find any option in Miro’s Windows App to open there this board from URL. Is it even possible, or for URL-shared boards I can view them only via Webbrowser?

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Hubert from Hadean -

The only option I can think of is if you know the name of the board then you might be able to search for it from the app Dashboard view:

Userlevel 1

After quite a bit of exploration and trial and error, I finally determined that you can drag and drop a URL from the Chrome address bar onto the miro desktop client (at least in Windows) in order to display the same board there. In order to be able to drag it, you must click and hold the lock icon to the left of the URL, as shown in the attached image:

Hope this helps!

What a nice hack @Patterson Waltz, thanks! Works fine on Mac too. There are two caveats, though:

• You need to drop the URL on the tabs. If you drop it on a board then it’s simply pasted there.
  • All other tabs disappear but when you close and reopen the window, the original state is restored.

I think it works by accident, https://help.miro.com/hc/en-us/articles/360017572854-Desktop-App clearly says:

no option to open a link to a board in the app

Userlevel 2

This is a major workflow issue for our team.  We’re all using the app because we can leave multiple boards open in tabs.  Link sharing will only work in browser, so it’s incompatible with the app workflow.  Other apps like Slack are able to open their own apps through a link, and that functionality is definitely needed in Miro.

Userlevel 2

Just to add to this:  Miro seems designed to minimize the amount of boards, and instead organize lots of info on a single board using frames.  This naturally makes boards slow to load, so having to re-load the board every time someone links to something is a brutal workflow (on top of the fact that you can’t use the app in this workflow at all).

If we could copy a link and paste it into the app, and the app would switch to the correct board and jump to the linked object, that would do the trick.  The key is that it shouldn’t need to reload a board that you already have loaded in a tab.  Thanks.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Thanks for sharing, @Joel Green!

You are welcome to submit this idea to our Wish List :relaxed:  

After quite a bit of exploration and trial and error, I finally determined that you can drag and drop a URL from the Chrome address bar onto the miro desktop client (at least in Windows) in order to display the same board there. In order to be able to drag it, you must click and hold the lock icon to the left of the URL, as shown in the attached image:

Hope this helps!

Additionally, I had to star that board, go to starred boards, then click open in new tab (could just be something I did wrong).

Userlevel 1

Hope this helps!

Thanks you saved my day!

It’s indeed ridiculous, that the Miro desktop app does not offer to open a Board URL!

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

I am on Windows 10 Home (2004) with the Miro 64-bit Windows desktop app and have never been able to get this to work :thinking: I have also tried with the beta desktop app and the Microsoft Store version) with no luck.

@OliverR - Just a note that if you need to access the board on a regular basis and didn’t see the note in this post, rather than having to load the board in the browser and drag the URL onto the desktop app every time, you can

1. Load the board in your browser
  2. Star it:
  3. And then from your desktop app, clicked on Starred:

Used the solution provided by Robert Johnson on Mac and it worked !!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Vijay Singh - Additionally, there was a recently enhancement to the desktop app that should now prompt to open a board from a clicked link in the desktop app.

https://community.miro.com/changelog-discussion-31/better-smoother-desktop-app-is-here-1725?postid=8376#post8376

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Vijay Singh - But I still like bookmarking them by Starting them for later :wink:

Another solution:
Copy and past the URL in a random miro board inside the app and then click the generated image, it will open in a new tab inside the app.