Answered

How to hide my sticky notes from other participants temporarily

• 7 May 2020
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 1

To avoid having people influencing each other when gathering ideas on a particular topic, I would like to hide my sticky notes from other participants.

Then, after a certain amount of time or may be when I decide it is the appropriate time to do so, I would like to reveal all the sticky notes to all participants.

Is there a way to do that with Miro?

icon

Best answer by Kiron Bondale 7 May 2020, 19:18

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Guillaume  -

I’m assuming you want to do “real” brainstorming as opposed to the brainwriting which Miro normally supports. In that case, if you want everyone to keep their stickies to themselves before it is time for the “big reveal”, you can click on the Bulk Mode option which is at the bottom of the Stickies pop-up menu in the toolbar. This will allow you to enter a number of stickies in one shot and then when the time is up, you click Done which will drop them as new stickies onto the board.

Would that work?

A more manual way to do this is to given everyone their own area of the board (separated) to do their brainstorming and then have the cut and paste their stickies into a common area.

Another if you will be doing a number of such exercises would be to give each participant their own board where they can do their individual work and then they can copy & paste from it into the common board.

Kiron

Userlevel 1

Hi Kiron,

Using the Bulk Mode will do the job!

Thanks a lot for the advice.

Hi. I just came to Miro after working at an org that used Mural as their virtual whiteboarding tool. 

I will say that Mural’s ability to run sessions where the collaborator’s input was hidden in ‘private’ mode was a really great feature of that tool.

Hi. I just came to Miro after working at an org that used Mural as their virtual whiteboarding tool. 

I will say that Mural’s ability to run sessions where the collaborator’s input was hidden in ‘private’ mode was a really great feature of that tool.

110% agree, I've just moved orgs and not having this feature from mural in Miro is a real deal breaker. While bulk add kinda works it doesn't allow partipants to visually lay out their work before revealing. Also as a facilitator I can prevent others from accidentally revealing their postings ahead of general conversation.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Anthony Brew -

Another brute force workaround is to have different boards for each participant specifically for anonymous brainstorming purposes. They can each brainstorm on their individual boards and when time’s up, they can copy & paste all their sticky notes in whatever layout they’ve come up with to the shared, common board.

Kiron

To avoid having people influencing each other when gathering ideas on a particular topic, I would like to hide my sticky notes from other participants.

Then, after a certain amount of time or may be when I decide it is the appropriate time to do so, I would like to reveal all the sticky notes to all participants.

Is there a way to do that with Miro?

Has there been any advance on a feature like this at all? Unfortunately the ‘bulk add’ option is a pretty clunky work around, and requires the stickes to then be re sorted after adding.

I often find in these kinds of meetings, or even working asynchronously, that I’d like to take notes or quickly capture an idea, but without being ready to do so “in public”.

It’s frustrating and takes me away from the board so that I can work out my thoughts or statements, and then bring them back.

There absolutely should be a participant-controlled way to create draft notes or other objects that are only visible to yourself, and then publish them to the board when they are ready.

Are there any news about this obvious  reveal notes option ?