Answered

How to enter "new line" in node without exiting?

• 16 May 2020
  • 7 replies

Hi

I am new to Miro, but I got a problem which a never have with any other mind-mapping apps:

How to create a new line (like in Word - press “Enter” to create new paragraph) in regular nodes - NOT in notes.

For example - in my mind-map I want to create a new phrase on new line - I hit Cmd (Ctrl on windows) + Enter -- and yes, it creates new line, BUT ALSO quits “editing node”.

IT’S INFURIATING when working on your ideas, especially for a long time!

I submitted it as a bug -- created a ticket -- but saw no reply from Miro’s stuff.

Am I doing something wrong?

Is there are some shortcut to “create new line” without “exiting editing node”?

Video: https://youtu.be/A3kG9pxZZ6I

icon

Best answer by Marina 18 May 2020, 15:12

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@linosia97 -

Nope - nothing wrong with the Ctrl-Enter action you are doing. It is pretty odd that it jumps out of editing mode. Feels more like a bug than a design choice. @Marina, it has been a couple of weeks since the support ticket was entered if I go by the date stamp above - any chance of escalating this?

Kiron

I would also add that it happens on both Mac OS Catalina 10.15.4 and on Windows 1909 (bootcamp).

I have MacBook Air 2017

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @linosia97,

I am so sorry you haven’t received a reply for so long:disappointed_relieved:  A little bit of context about the current Support Team’s load is here. I’ve checked that the team has replied to you not long ago.

The shortcut for this action is Shift+Enter (I have added it to the help article). 

@Kiron Bondale, thanks a lot for mentioning me here! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

That’s great @Marina - I knew there had to be a shortcut and Shift was pretty much the only key I didn’t think of!

Kiron

Yes, finally, thanks!

I’ve searched the help and yes -- shortcut wasn’t there (before I posted about it). So now I hope everything is in place)

Although why Cmd + Enter half worked then, if it shouldn’t do a new line at all? o_O

Yep -- tested -- Shift + Enter worked :)

Also info in help also updated - thanks!

For Android users: I stumbled on a way to enter linebreaks in the current Android app. Just sharing this info.

Most of the time, hitting the return key closes the node and creates a new one below it. Unless the keyboard is still processing the word, as is indicated by the word being underlined. In this particular situation Miro inserts a newline AFTER the cursor.

So to add a line to an existing node, I position the cursor at the end of the text. Then enter a space followed by for example ‘bb'. Miro enters the newline and I hit backspace twice to remove the excess characters