How do I can downgrade a User to Free License on Team Plan

• 29 January 2022
  • 5 replies

We have the Team version of Miro and I want to downgrade some Full users to “Free” users.  I don’t see the option to do this in the user management section.  Thanks you.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

The only way to add non-paid users to a Team Plan is to add them at the board -level as a Viewer or Commenter. Once you do this, they will show up in your team profile settings Users list as Free License users.

The only way to allow non-team members of a Team Plan to be able to edit boards is using the Visitors feature.

Dear all, I have the same question as Sunsan.

I want to downgrade a member to guest again but don’t have the option in the user management overview:

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Kathrin Fuerk - You can upgrade a Guest to a full team member, but you cannot downgrade them to a Guest. Instead, you would need to remove the user and then add them as a Guest to each board they need access to.

A note about Guest access levels:

• if you have a Team Plan subscription, Guests can only be viewers or commenters of a board.
  • If you have a Consultant, Business, or Education Plan subscription, they can also be editors of boards.

More on Guests here → https://help.miro.com/hc/en-us/articles/360021415119-Collaboration-with-guests

Hey @Robert Johnson is there a possibility to implement this feature, so we don’t have to remove users and re-invite them?

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hey @Robert Johnson is there a possibility to implement this feature, so we don’t have to remove users and re-invite them?

@Lex_ - You can request this as a feature by adding an Idea in the Wish List category by following the guidelines here: Wish List: Everything You Need to Know.

However, I suspect the reason this is not a feature already is the due to the way the Guest feature works. Guests are added to boards only and are not team members, nor can they access Projects. If I add a user to a board(s) as a Guest and then upgrade them to a full license user, Miro has not tracked which boards they were a “Guests” of before they were upgraded. There are also several situations that cause the rules to fail, e.g., Bob was a Guests on a board and was then made a full license team member, but the board they were a Guests on was subsequently deleted (or their access to that single board was revoked), so when attempting to downgrade to a “Guests”, there is no longer a board to make them a Guest of -- even still, Miro may not want to assume they should still be a Guest of any boards. That’s why Guests to Full License Member will likely remain a one-way street.