How can I limit editing in a group of curious teenagers?

• 16 June 2020
  • 5 replies

I will work with a group of curious teenagers. I would like they stay focused on the designed workspace. So, how can I limit their movement? How can I prevent them from adding or removing elements to the board? Can I configure the toolbar to have only the necessary options?

5 replies

Userlevel 4

Hi @Carolina,

You can prevent your group of teenagers from adding or removing elements by locking the objects.

Hold down Shift and drag over the items you’d like to be locked, and click the lock icon to prevent the objects from being moved/edited/deleted.

Michael Sohn

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Carolina -

However, as they are teenagers, they will likely quickly figure out to unlock the elements. One additional choice is to “shield” the elements you don’t want moved by putting a transparent (0% opacity) rectangle over them and locking that. 

I’m assuming you do want them to do more than just view or comment otherwise those access levels would be the safest way to go rather than giving them full edit access.

Kiron

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I will work with a group of curious teenagers. I would like they stay focused on the designed workspace. So, how can I limit their movement? How can I prevent them from adding or removing elements to the board? Can I configure the toolbar to have only the necessary options?

If you have many "workspaces" within the board, separate them out into multiple boards and only "reveal" the next board when you're ready to move on. In other words, keep your workspace/boards as simple as possible.

You can use the "Bring everyone to me" feature all the time too and hopefully they'll get the hint (no guarantee.)

Anyway, I work with 99% adults. They do the same things that you fear. All the time. So just roll with it and don't worry too much: it's life :)

Hello Miro friends!

Regular lock, don't help to save Your design and ideas from nasty teenagers.

My idea is to give more lock options for board owner only:

1. Positon lock (Locks position of object, but allow write in it or resize.)

2. Size lock (Locks size of object, it will especially efective use to control text size)

3. Content lock

4. Select All lock (Disable Select All function)

If there is anyone who agrees with me, please ask Miro to implement these ideas!

Respectfully,

Normunds Barbans

P.S. Be frustrated, hurt, but not indifferent and happy! Do something for better Miro!

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Normunds Barbans 's idea for voting:

Four different Object Lock options