How can I grant clients with existing Miro licenses from other organizations editing rights to my team’s boards without paying for extra seats?

• 16 April 2021
  • 7 replies

Hi all… 

I am trying to grant access / editing rights to members of a client’s team for one to several of my company’s boards.  These members already have paid Miro subscriptions under the company they work for.  When I try to invite them to edit a board, I get a message that only members of my team can edit the board.  How can I grant clients with existing Miro licenses from other organizations editing rights to my team’s boards without paying for extra seats?

• It seems weird / irrational to expect us to pay for extra seats when they already have active licenses through their own company.
  • The only workaround I’ve found is to ‘allow anyone with the link’ access – meaning anyone with the link can edit.  However, we don’t want these boards to be public / freely shareable due to confidentiality.
  • What is strange is that the same clients have full access / editing rights to another board that I set up last year (when my subscription was free).

I tried manually granting 2 of the clients seats, but it updated my team’s seats from 4 to 6 paid seats.  I’ve revoked the extra 2 seats and hope I’m not charged for it.

Thanks in advance for any advice / help on this matter

Cheers

Brendan

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Brendan Hutchieson - For right or for wrong, this is Miro’s current business model.

In order to have non-team members collaborate on your boards without incurring additional costs, you will need to use the pubic Guest  Editor feature by settings board’s Share settings to Anyone with the link → Can edit - you can password protect the board if you wish, e.g.:

Because your collaborators will not be members on your team and therefore won’t see the boards in their Miro dashboard, they can Star them as a means of bookmarking them to find them more easily later:

What is strange is that the same clients have full access / editing rights to another board that I set up last year (when my subscription was free).

That may be a bug - enjoy it while it lasts.

@Robert Johnson Thanks for the fast response and clarity.  Good to know I can password protect - might be a good workaround for now.

While on the topic, I have access to boards owned by their company / team - however, I can’t cut and paste content from their boards to ours.  I can cut and paste from ours to theirs, though.  Any thoughts on this?  This is the message I get below.  This is a new problem, on previous projects with this client… I could freely cut and paste content back and forth.  I suspect it’s a new security update on their side - but any alternative explanation / solution would be greatly appreciated.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Brendan Hutchieson - You’re welcome. That “Copying not allowed” message means that their board’s Board Content Settings are configured in such a way that those outside of the team cannot copy content. The board owner would need to configure the board to allow for this.

The setting is found here:

@Robert Johnson awesome - thanks so much for the insight… I’ll forward this info to them.

Cheers

Brendan

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@Brendan Hutchieson @Robert Johnson You do need to enable the ‘universal’ setting in Settings→ Permissions first before elements in the boards can be copied.

@Isman Tanuri Thanks so much for this tip - I’ll forward to my client.
Cheers

Brendan

Userlevel 2
Badge

That business model is really weird and I raise my voice to change that.
A paying premium customer should be able to join another premium paying customers boards when invited - without having to pay again.

I love Miro as a tool and happily recommend it to others - but this thing annoys a lot of people and then they go for freemium solution instead. That can’t be better for Miro.