Hot Keys + Mouse Scroll for Zoom and Pan

• 12 January 2022
  • 6 replies

Before yesterday, I was able to use ctrl and shift in combination with the scroll wheel on my mouse to alternate between zooming and scrolling/panning.

Yesterday, that changed and am now no longer able to use those buttons for that purpose.

How can I use the scroll wheel on my mouse to scroll/pan instead of zoom now without taking my right hand off of the mouse?

The option of using the right mouse button to grab and drag is super slow/clumsy when trying to navigate large boards.

6 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Hi @Hobson Bryan!

Thank you for reaching out!

If you want to continue using the mouse wheel for scrolling, select Trackpad in Navigation mode.

With this navigation mode enabled, you will be able to scroll up and down with the mouse wheel. Hold Shift to scroll horizontally.

Hope this helps! 🙂

Amazing!
Thank you, @Polina_E … you are my hero!

feels like this should be the default - zooming by default is a terrible experience

ahhhhh - so glad I found this.  Somehow my desktop app changed default to scroll-wheel does zoom a few months back and its been driving me crazy… to the point of not wanting to use the app anymore.   

Hi, As a designer I am finding navigating Miro a headache.

In Figma I can hold down ‘z’ draw a marquee around the thing I want to zoom in on. Then I can use the Z key and mouse wheel or Magic Mouse surface to slide back out of the zoom. So easy and fast.

In Miro I have to select something, press Option 2? or something irregular and then to zoom back out I have to go to CMD - or pinch the trackpad and it feels like I am forever playing street fighter to do basic navigation that other apps have successfully solved decades ago. Why is Miro trying to break something that works?

Also the ease in/out lag on CMD - / + is distracting and inaccurate as well. Is there a way to disable that ?

Oh I see, there is something called a mouse, and something called the trackpad, so if I want the mouse to behave normally like it would in any other canvas application, I need to select the trackpad option even though I am using the mouse. Got it, totally intuitive.