Free Members on Team Plan

• 8 December 2021
  • 8 replies

We have 2 licences on the Team Plan and seem to have some Free Members with the rest being Guests.  Please can someone explain to me how this works i.e. how many free Members do you get on the plan, what access does being a Free Member provide them and how can you swap a Guest with a Free Member?

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Dionne Hairsine - There have been a number of changes as of late. In fact, it has been so fluid that I’m not sure I will have this 100% right, but I’ll share what I know and what I have tested.

Guests

The Guest feature was enhanced and is only available for Consultant and Business Plans. For the Team Plan, you will have to use the Visitors feature. You would use this if you want a new team member to be able to access the board. You configure this by setting the board’s Share settings to Anyone with with the link → Can Edit/View/Comment.

Free Members

This is where you have added a non-team member to the board with view-only access:

This is how the member now appears in your Team Plan profile settings → Users page:

The fact that it shows their role as “Guest” is misleading as they don’t have the guest role on your team - they can only view the board you shared with them.

Essentially, aside from the Visitors feature, you will have to pay for any registered users that you wish to have collaborate on your boards. If you were to upgrade to the Consultant Plan, while you would pay ~50% for each of your two licenses, you would eventually have access to the Guest feature (currently in beta). Keep in mind, however, the beta feature are subject to change.

Thank you for your response @Robert Johnson but we have a Team Plan and this is what I can see.  So what I am trying to understand is what the difference is between a Free Member and a Free Guest and if I can change who is a Free Member and who is a Free Guest?

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Dionne Hairsine - My hunch would be that perhaps the Free “Member” is anyone added before Miro’s recent changes. Once the changes were implemented, the role was changed to be “Guest”.

For a definitive answer, let’s ask Miro support. I will convert this post into a support ticket.

It would be helpful if you could please let us know what the support team tells you.

For future reference--if you never have submitted a support ticket to Miro--you can find the support form link by following the instructions/GIF in this help center article:

https://help.miro.com/hc/en-us/articles/360020185799-How-to-contact-Miro-Support#h_01F010RXA0E1S9C0WFQYX75R6C

Thanks @Robert Johnson and I will let you know

Dear @Dionne Hairsine,

did you ever receive a reply from the Miro Support regarding this question? If so, please send me their response as well, as I was wondering about the exact same phenomenon.

Many thanks and best regards,
David

David,

I did get a response and here it is:

“Miro roles and the scope of their rights may vary depending on the plan, so let me give you an overview of how it works on Team plan.

On Team plan, when you invite a member to the team they're not added as a paying seat. Instead, they are first added as a Free member, which means they have the potential to become Full members (taking a paid seat) but for the time being, they're on your team free of charge. There's no limit to the number of Free members.

However, note that once such a user performs any paid action (e.g. creating or editing a board) within the account, they trigger their conversion into a Full member. But first, they become a Trial member for 7 days. As a Trial member, they consume no license.

Being a Trial member means that the user can have full paid access free of charge to the account for 7 days - this enables collaboration without committing immediately to cost.

During the trial, new members can be promoted to Full members, or changed to Guests in the Active users section in Team settingsScreenshot_2021-06-02_at_14.10.07.png

Trial members become Full (paid) members if no action is taken by the end of the trial (7 days).

If you don't want to add Trial members as Full team members after their trial finishes, you can remove them from the team or convert them to Guest users (which means that they will be able to view and comment on the board to which they were invited explicitly) at any time during the trial. 

As for Guests (previously non-team users), adding them is free of charge and there is no limit to the number of Guests you can add. On Team planGuests are added when you invite someone to a board specifically (via email/Slack) with view/commenting rights.

And last but not least, there is an option to invite an unlimited number of Visitors. They can only access boards shared via a public link and don't have to be registered in Miro. I invite you to check out this handy table showing the difference between the three main Miro roles. 🧐

Hope this clears things up!”

Hope that helps.

Regards

Dionne

Dear @Dionne Hairsine ,

many, many thanks for the superfast reply! 😃👍

Have a nice day!

All the best,
David

No problem at all David 😁