Answered

Frames not picking up objects/objects within frames not moving with the frame?

Userlevel 1

Hello there!  I am creating a Customer Journey Map.  I am using a Macbook Pro.  I am fairly tech savvy and I cannot for the life of me get frames to pick up the objects within them so that I can move them all together.  I have tried to select existing objects and then frame them, and I have tried creating the frame first THEN adding the objects.  Nothing works for me.  I have looked through the community for similar issues, but I have. not found the exact same issue.  I have enabled the grid and disabled it….nothing works for me.  Any advice out there?  Many thanks in advance!  

icon

Best answer by Suzanne Orzech 13 May 2021, 04:25

View original

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Suzanne Orzech -

Can you try a very simple use case as follows with a new board?

1. Create a new frame
  2. Add a couple of sticky notes within it
  3. Try to move the frame and see if the contents come with it 

Also, how are you accessing Miro? If it is via the desktop app, can you try through a web browser or vice versa?

Kiron

Userlevel 1

@Kiron Bondale just did the new board use case and the frames grabbed the objects just fine.  !!!??????  I am using Miro via the web….have not downloaded the app yet.  Could it be something with the template I am using?

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Suzanne Orzech -

that is a possibility - I’d suggest making a copy of the board which has that template and start deleting objects in batches to try to isolate what might be causing the behavior. I do know that grids/tables can affect the default behavior of shapes put inside them, and I have experienced “odd” behavior with frames nested in frames, but other than that, the default frame behavior should work fine…

Kiron

Userlevel 1

@Kiron Bondale UPDATE: just downloaded the mac desktop app and tried it with my existing board.  Same issue.  The objects in the frames do not move with the frame.  Created a NEW board in the desktop app, added a few stickies….and they moved no problem.  I am starting to think it’s something with the Customer Journey template that I started with…?

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Kiron Bondale  / @Suzanne Orzech - It is my understanding that child frames don’t move when the parent frame moves, i.e., frames in frames:

I see this note in the Frames Help Center article:

If you want to put frames inside frames and move the outer frame together with the nested ones, feel free to group them. You can select several frames either while holding down Shift and picking them one by one or by using the selection field and filter (please see below).

Userlevel 1

@Kiron Bondale I will try that approach (making a copy of the board and trying to isolate the issue) tomorrow.  I mostly just have sticky notes in my frames….nothing too fancy yet.  So I am stumped.  THANK YOU….I will update this if I figure it out!  

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Grouping frames:

Userlevel 1

@Kiron Bondale the parent/child frame issue might be a clue:  Templates have parent frames.  I am adding child frames.  Hmmmm……….must investigate further tomorrow.  Will update this thread for sure.  THANK YOU…!!!!  I seriously appreciate you!  

Userlevel 1

@Robert Johnson thank you for chiming in!  I think this may very well be the issue….I will play around some more and see if I can figure this out!  THANK YOU! :)

Userlevel 1

@Kiron Bondale @Robert Johnson So….I figured it out.  You cannot GROUP items in a TABLE.  I was also wondering why I cannot group items!  The template I am using is a table….and the grouping tool does not even appear!  So that’s thing #1.  Thing #2 is that the frames will not work on this template.  So why make a template that is not functional?  I seriously spent like 5 hours on this thing today.  Do either of you know a way to delete the margins of the table….not the table itself, not the actual cells…..thus allowing me to keep all of my info in place???  The whole issue is the template.  You lose functionality with it.  Wish I knew this before!

This is the template I am using:

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Suzanne Orzech 

You cannot GROUP items in a TABLE. 

Ahhh, yes. And you cannot lock objects in tables. A workaround is to group or lock outside of the table and then drag the grouped objects onto the table, or the table over the locked objects.

Sadly, Tables (formerly Grids) are still quite new. You cannot modify the margins or padding. I would suggest using the “Feedback” link when you hover over the Table and share your thoughts directly with Miro around the lack of functionality:

I still cannot get it to work - placing some elements in a frame and have them move with the frame.  I even had one frame in another and it was moving as one perfectly, but when I unlocked the internal frame, elements of the internal frame would not reconnect with the overall frame.  Very frustrating.

It seems something changes in the characteristic of an element when either attaching to an outer frame, locking/unlocking, grouping/ungrouping, etc.

Also, I cannot group in some instances, the “Grouping” icon in the edit menu is not available...Are there some elements that cannot be grouped ?

Experimenting - it is as though the outer frame doesn’t always “capture” and “internalize” the inner frames/elements...

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Michael Connell - Yes, there are some objects that cannot be grouped:

Source: https://help.miro.com/hc/en-us/articles/360017730973-Structuring-board-content#h_01ENWK1NPH84FWWP82KDZK8AA0

I am trying to group 2 tables together and it’s not working. Is this something supported by the feature?

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

I am trying to group 2 tables together and it’s not working. Is this something supported by the feature?

Tables cannot be grouped together.