Exporting Story Map to Excel and preserving relationships

• 25 April 2022
  • 7 replies

Does anyone know how to export the User Story cards in a Miro User Story Map to CSV whilst preserving the link between Stories, Features and Epics.  

Also, the export doesn’t maintain the order of the cards on the board.  

The help Q&A seems to acknowledge this limitation.  Does anyone know if this is on an Enhancement list?

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Craig Campbell -

That would be a question for one of our Mironeers. @Marina, are you able to check with the product team to see if there are any plans to enhance the sticky note CSV export in the near term?

Kiron

Does anyone know how to export the User Story cards in a Miro User Story Map to CSV whilst preserving the link between Stories, Features and Epics.  

Also, the export doesn’t maintain the order of the cards on the board.  

The help Q&A seems to acknowledge this limitation.  Does anyone know if this is on an Enhancement list?

At the very least, you should be able to chose how the export works, ie row-by-row or column-by-column.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Craig Campbell -

The issue is that even if you could control the order of export, without something to convey the relationship between personas, themes, epics and features it likely still would be a mess. What would work well is if the combination of positioning of sticky notes with lines connecting them would enable that export.

Kiron

I agree that the ideal is that the tickets are exported in a way that preserves the relationships, so, in the case of a story board, the Story is related to its feature and its feature is related to its Epic. 

All I was saying is that if the tickets were exported in columns, rather than rows, it would make my life easier.  I’ve just been manually transposing an excel spreadsheet to my stories are related to their feature and my features are related to its Epic.  It would have been easier if all the stories were grouped by feature at least. 

Having said that, this is very much a minimum.  I agree that proper relationships would be best. 

It must be common for people to have to share story maps with other users who dont have access to Miro and would find it uncomfortable, e.g. senior management.  They’re used to, and would want to, review a spreadsheet, not log on to an unfamiliar system and try to figure out how to review the requirements.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Craig Campbell -

I’d agree that this would be the last missing piece to enable folks who heavily do story mapping to punt dedicated story mapping tools in favor of a purely Miro-based approach. I do know there are a number of enhancement requests logged already for the export capability so hopefully it is prioritized high!

Kiron

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Hey @Craig Campbell and @Kiron Bondale,

Alyona from the Miro Support team is stepping in for Marina for a moment.

I've shared your use case and the issues you're facing when exporting the USMs as CSV with the team and was told they'll add this improvement to their backlog. However, I'm afraid there's no ETA that I could share with you at this point, so my best recommendation would be to keep an eye on the Changelog

Hi @Alyona, I created an Idea to track this request as an improvement opportunity rather than a question, since now we know this functionality isn’t available yet:

https://community.miro.com/ideas/preserve-relationship-of-user-story-map-items-during-csv-excel-export-9242

I’d one-up this topic as well, it’d make our workflow much easier :)

Attila