Question

Editing guests and visitors

• 21 April 2023
  • 2 replies

Hello everyone!

I know this question has been asked many times before, but the answers I’ve managed to find so far don’t seem clear enough. I have a free account now (I use it for teaching) and I would like to upgrade my plan in order to create more boards, since 3 clearly isn’t enough. When choosing the right plan, I found out that all of my students are currently full-scale members of my board and not just guests or visitors, but as far as I understand I’d better exclude them from the board before upgrading if I don’t want to pay a huge sum of money every month… The question is:

What plan should I choose if I want to have several boards, each having another person (i.e. student) than me as a guest editor? I don’t need students to have access to any other boards than the one I use with them, but I need them to be able to add files, move objects on the board etc. 

Can I choose for example the Business plan with only one member (i.e. me) so that a more or less infinite number of guests could join me in editing, each person on their separate board? I am genuinely confused 😢

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@mriaorlova -

Yes, you could go with a plan which supports a single full access user and then use the Visitor access capability for all your collaborators. However, remember that Visitor access does involve making the boards public so the students could still share their board URLs and passwords with one another so it wouldn’t be 100% segregated.

Kiron

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@mriaorlova - Here’s a reply I left on another post with more details of Guests vs. Visitors:

https://community.miro.com/ask-the-community-45/upgraded-to-a-paid-plan-and-now-all-my-collaborators-cannot-edit-the-boards-11840?postid=46324#post46324

Unless you

1. need to assign different users, different access levels on a single board; or
  2. don’t want a student to easily share a board with another student
  3. you don’t want your student to have to create a Miro account,

then the Starter Plan will be fine.

You may also want to review the Visitors and Guests help center articles to see what features will not be able to each role. From the scenario you are describing (students just needing to edit and add files to the boards), then Visitors feature will be fine, is available with the Starter Plan, which is half the cost of the Business Plan.

You mentioned being a teacher. You may qualify for the Education Plan as an Educator, which will give you a free, 100 memebr Education Plan which which supports the Visitors feature. And, just because you have a 100 spots (well, 99 after your seat is taken), doesn’t mean you have to invite students to your team. You can still just use the Visitors feature the same as you would if you bought a one-seat Starter Plan. 

Apply here → https://miro.com/education-whiteboard/