Double click and sticky note appears

Every single time I double click anywhere on any Miro board, a sticky note appears. This has been occurring for almost a year now, is distracting and annoying and we do not know how to turn this off.  Does anyone know how? 

And also, I can just accidentally click anywhere on a board and a sticky note appears.  Why does this happen? Thank you.

This topic has been closed for comments

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@LWinn - The default double-click action is to create a new object. If you haven’t created any object yet, i.e., you just landed on a board, then double-clicking will create a new sticky note by default. However, if you create some other object type, e.g., a Card, and then you double-click on a blank spot on the board, then a Card will be created.

You cannot disable this.

Thank you for the prompt response Robert….that is exactly what is happening.  With other articles I read I saw comments about not being able to disable certain situations, but it was not clear if it applied to this.  That is unfortunate as it is very embarrassing. frustrating and distracting during our team and management meetings when these cards/sticky notes keep popping up everywhere and the meeting has to be halted so they can all be deleted in order to move forward with the discussion.  Is Miro considering an option for users to choose to enable/disable this?

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@LWinn - I can see how that could be embarrassing and would cause clutter. There are also a number of users out there who will continue to double-click everything, everywhere, forever.

While I can’t speak to Miro’s plan for future enhancements, if you would like to see an option to disable the double-click action on an empty spot on the board, I’d recommend adding this as an Idea in the Wish List category by following the guidelines here: Wish List: Everything You Need to Know.

If you do create a Wish List Idea post, I would also recommend that you post a link to it back here, so that future readers of this post can quickly get to and vote for your Idea.

Lastly, don't forget to vote for your own Idea.

Thanks Robert….I will review the wishlist more carefully and see if it is on there already, then go from there.  

@LWinn, I’ve discovered if you place a shape in the background of your board, send it to the back so it’s behind all of your content and lock that shape, then the sticky notes don’t appear. Double-clicking will zoom you in and out instead.

If you don’t like the look of the shape in the background, you can set it to be transparent so it’s invisible.

Userlevel 2

This double click feature has now been removed….I loved it!

Please make it an optional feature, so we can turn it back on!

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Brigitte Kock -

It still works for me - just tried on a test board. I created a sticky note manually and then when I double-clicked elsewhere, it created another one.

I’m using Windows 10 with Google Chrome. 

Kiron

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

This double click feature has now been removed….I loved it!

Please make it an optional feature, so we can turn it back on!

@Brigitte Kock - This is also still working for me - Chrome browser on Windows 11 64-bit, laptop, and working with both the a mouse and the laptop trackpad, both while the board’s navigation setting is in Mouse or Trackpad mode.

There is another post about this where at least one user reported they are using a Mac. I would suggest that you reply in this post and included as much detail as possible - OS, browser, device you are using, your Miro board navigation mode setting, etc.:

https://community.miro.com/ask-the-community-45/double-tap-to-add-the-last-object-used-feature-is-not-working-anymore-6679

Userlevel 2

@Robert Johnson@Kiron Bondale

Thanks for your kind response, 

I’m mainly using the Desktop app on Windows 10.

For some of my collegues the dubble click still works on the browser version.

(For me it doesn’t either Edge, nor Chrome, I’m not too sure which version of either.) Miro must be A, B testing?

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Brigitte Kock -

I’ve asked a Mironeer to check if she can confirm whether or not this is, in fact, a test or something else…

Stay tuned!

Kiron

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hi everyone!
We’ve disabled the double-click shortcut (that creates a sticky note, text, or shape depending on what’s been used last) recently for all Miro users as our research showed that most of the users didn’t use or deleted those objects right away after creation.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Double-clicking still creates objects for me. Did your research look back to see if those who didn’t use or delete the objects right after continued this behaviour or did they perhaps learn not to double-click?

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hi Robert!
Thanks so much for your message! I double-checked the information and found out that indeed some users still have the double-click shortcut enabled. However, we started a final sample test before official launch for our basic interaction improvements, and on Dec 17-21 the very feature will be disabled for every Miro user.