Answered

Deleted user also deleted boards

I deleted a user from our company account, and now other users who try to access one of their boards says at least one of their boards has been deleted (probably all). 

When I deleted the user from our company, I “reassigned” their boards to another user, but the assigned user also cannot access. I selected “Delete User”, not “Delete User and Content”

Team Admins do not see the board (or any other boards) in their trash. I also restored the user, logged in with their account and checked their Trash. Where has the board gone?

I also found this article: https://community.miro.com/ask-the-community-45/deleted-user-ends-up-deleting-board-2015 which states, “If the user was removed from the account and their boards were deleted altogether, Team Admins will see those boards in the Trash bin and will be able to restore them. In that case, the Team Admin becomes the owner of the restored board.” This does not appear to be true.

icon

Best answer by karlgarske 22 March 2021, 18:23

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@karlgarske - If everything that is happening is going against what the documentation is telling you should be happening, I would suggest that you open a Miro support ticket:

learning center → Get help → Support:

Thanks, Robert. I’ve done that as well. Still waiting to hear back.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@karlgarske - Good. In the meantime, what type of plan are you on? Team, Business, Consultant, or Enterprise?

What is the exact message that one sees when trying to open one of these deleted boards?

We’re on the Team plan. I’d absolutely upgrade to Business if it would solve this, since we may need some of that functionality anyway.

Here is the initial screen I saw when user was deleted, implying the boards would be reassigned and content would remain intact

Here is the error we see when trying to access the user’s boards:

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@karlgarske - I was able to get a similar prompt by trying to recreate your scenario, it doesn’t mention that the board was deleted by the owner:

So then I (User A) added a new user (User B) to a Team Plan team, had them create a board, deleted them (User B), but not their content, which made me the board owner. Then I added another new user (User C). Then I (the board owner, User A) deleted the board and then tried to view it as User C and get the same message that you are getting:

So another test - I will add new user, have them create a board AND delete it, then I will delete that user, assigning their stuff to me, and see if I get the same message as above.

The result - I see this message as anyone who the boards/projects were NOT assigned to:

And, even though the user had trashed the board before I deleted them as set myself as the new owner of the objects, I get this message with the option to restore AND I see it in my Trash:

Going back to your earlier screenshot:

Thank you for doing all of that Robert!

I believe the sequence that would have happened for us was:

User A created a board.

User B was invited to that board.

User A was deleted from company, and their boards were reassigned to User C.

In our case, both User B and User C get the error “board has been deleted by its owner”. 

To confirm your last question, User B and User C do not see the board in their Trash, and they are on the same team.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@karlgarske - That’s a good breakdown. At this point we will surely have to reply on Miro support and the tools available to them to determine who is the true owner of the board now. I know of a trick were you can see the name of a user ID number in Miro, however, I do not know of a way to get the owner ID by board ID (via the board link/URL), and trust me, I have tried haha.

Thanks, Robert. I haven’t heard anything from the support team yet. That sounds hopeful that maybe the board is not completely deleted on the backend, and just needs an owner. The board content is obviously very valuable to us.

Miro support was able to pinpoint the new board owner and we found the boards in his trash. We were able to restore for everyone! 

From a usability standpoint, I think it would better for Miro to not move reassigned boards to the trash. Just leave them active once they are reassigned!

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@karlgarske - Glad to hear that the support team was able to locate the board(s).

Just a note to all readers, selecting the following option does not send the boards to the Trash: